Nordic Walking is a specific fitness technique where walking poles are used to propel the body forward, increasing the use of your upper body compared to regular walking. Nordic walking is unique in that it provides benefits for everyone, from those who are super fit to those with specific medical problems.
• Tones the upper and lower body the same time
• Uses 90% of skeletal muscles
• Burns 46% more calories than ordinary walking
• Great for the Heart and Lungs
• Reduces pressure on knees and joints
• Ideal for neck, shoulder and back problems
• Poles help to propel you along, making it easier to move faster than normal without feeling the effort.
All walks are a gentle pace so perfect for beginners or people who have not exercised for a while.
Information on weekly Nordic walking sessions
Sessions are led by Nordic Walking Watford and weekly walks take place:
- Mondays 10am at Rickmansworth Aquadrome. A 45 minute walk meeting on the grass in front of the cafe. Cost is £5 per person.
- Wednesdays 10.30am at Chorleywood House Estate. A 1.5 hrs - still gentle pace - walk meeting beside the tennis courts. Cost is £8 per person.
- Fridays 10am at Leavesden Country Park. A 45 minute walk meeting at the first car park on the left. Cost is £5 per person.
Need an introduction to Nordic Walking?
The POWER of POLES Induction is totally unique in that it explores the use of both strapless and Nordic walking poles to aid the user gain the best technique and results! A total body workout suitable for all ages and abilities. The Power of Poles course will introduce you to the wonderful world of Nordic walking – a fun, sociable and affordable way to improve your health and fitness.
Power of Poles introductory walk courses take place every month from Leavesden and Aquadrome. Broken into 2 x 1.5 hours sessions, this first introduction course will ensure you get the correct movement and technique from the start and can then progress to part two to gain more advanced skills.
In this first 90-minute session, you’ll learn the basics of Nordic walking and gain your Freedom Passport. You’ll then be able to book into any of our regular walks and classes.
The next course dates are available at Nordic Walking Watford.Book here