What licence(s) is required to sell/supply alcohol from a home-based business?


The sale by retail of alcohol is a licensable activity and may only be carried out if the correct licences are in place. Therefore if you are considering starting up a business from home which includes the sale or supply of alcohol, you must ensure that you apply for the relevant licences and do not commence any licensable activities until the licences have been granted.

To sell alcohol from your premises (i.e. home address), you are required to have a premises licence granted and for at least one person in the business to have a personal licence. That person does not have to be present on the premises to oversee the sale of alcohol, but is responsible for any sales made.

These two licences must be applied for and granted before you can start selling alcohol:

  • Premises licence: required for the premises where the alcohol will be distributed/delivered from.
  • Personal licence: a personal Licence is granted to the individual and allows the holder to sell or authorise (other people) the sale of alcohol in accordance with and under the terms of a premises licence. Once you have your personal licence, you will nominate yourself to become the ‘designated premises supervisor’ and name yourself on the premises licence. Every premises licence that allows the sale of alcohol by retail requires there to be a designated premises supervisor named.