Abandoned and nuisance vehicles

Report a vehicle you believe is abandoned or causing a nuisance

In this section

Abandoned vehicles

  • If the vehicle is taxed or has a known owner it is not classified as abandoned. We cannot take any further action.
  • If a vehicle is being driven, it cannot be abandoned. To report a vehicle that is being driven untaxed, please call the DVLA on 0300 7906802 or report online at www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/untaxedvehicle.

An abandoned vehicle is a motor vehicle that has been at a location for such a length of time that the Council deem it to be abandoned.

Each year, Three Rivers District Council receives a large number of reports of vehicles being abandoned, all of which are investigated, with only a small amount that are actually abandoned. Every case is different, but as a rule of thumb, Three Rivers District Council will not consider taxed vehicles to be abandoned  You can check a vehicle’s tax status by visiting Check if a vehicle is taxed - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) and entering the vehicle's registration number.

If you believe that a vehicle may have been stolen or it is causing an obstruction, you should report this to the police by calling 101 or visiting www.herts.police.uk/ro/report/

Please note that vehicles subject to arson are crime scenes and should be reported to the police by calling 101.

We can remove any vehicle we think is abandoned under the Refuse Disposal (Amenity) Act 1978.

Report an abandoned vehicle

If you believe a vehicle is abandoned, please report it to us.

You will need to tell us:

  • the vehicle registration number
  • the make, model and colour of the vehicle
  • the location of the vehicle
Report an abandoned vehicle