This section includes:
Victim Support Charity
Victim Support is the national charity which helps people affected by crime. They provide free and confidential support to help you deal with your experience, whether or not you report the crime. For more information, visit the Victim Support website.
The Hertfordshire Victim Care Centre, called Beacon, operates out of a single hub.
This new service provides for victims of crime, with vulnerable and/or repeat victims being identified early on for an enhanced care package. The new ‘one-stop-shop’ offers a range of services under one roof, from simple practical help through to information about their crime investigation or emotional support.
This service is available free to all victims of crime, including those who have decided not to report the matter to police, or who have changed their mind about needing support and choose to make contact in the weeks or months after an incident.
Visit the Beacon website at www.hertfordshirebeacon.org or call the hotline 0300 011 55 55 (open daily from 7am to 10pm). Victims who report crimes committed against them to the police are automatically contacted by the centre.
Victims of fraud in Hertfordshire should continue to report their crime to Action Fraud at www.actionfraud.police.uk or on 0300 123 2040.
Domestic Abuse - Alternative support organisations
For more information on Domestic Abuse, please visit www.threerivers.gov.uk/egcl-page/domestic-abuse
There are also a number of websites and helplines available:
- Hertfordshire Domestic Violence/Abuse Helpline 0808 808 8088 (Monday to Friday 9am - 9pm & Saturday – Sunday 9am – 4pm)
- Watford Women's Centre 01923 816229
- Women's Aid 0808 200 0247 (24 hours)
- Action on Elder Abuse 0808 808 8141
- Daughters of Eve support those with concerns or questions about Femal Genital Mutilation. You can text on: 07983 030488
- Beacon 03000 115 555 Support and services for victims of crime
- DeafHope 0208 772 3241 A specialist Domestic Abuse service for the Deaf. Text/SMS 07970350366
- Karma Nirvana 0800 5999 247 for support on Honour Based Abuse and Forced Marriage
- Victim Support 24/7 free confidential Supportline 08 08 16 89 111.
- Sexual Assault Referral Centre 0808 178 4448 (for support if you have been raped or sexually assaulted)
- National Centre for Domestic Violence 0800 970 2070 24hr emergency legal advice.
- Male Advice Line 0808 801 0327
- Galop - 0800 999 5428 Support for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender people.
Hate Crime support
For more information on Hate Crime, please visit our Hate Crime page.
- Support is available for the LGBT*Q community through www.stonewall.org.uk.
- An additional support group for the Transgender community is the Beaumont Society, accessible through www.beaumontsociety.org.uk.
- Tell MAMA is a national project that monitors anti Muslim attacks and can provide support to victims of Islamophobia hate crime. www.tellmamauk.org
- Community Security Trust (CST) is a charity that aims to protect British Jews from anti-Semitic threats. They have a team that provide support specifically for hate crime. www.cst.org.uk.
- A monthly drop in one-stop shop takes place at Holyrood Catholic Church for the Polish Community. Part of the service offered is support for victims of Hate Crime.
- Disability Watford is a Watford and Three Rivers based information and support group for people with disability. This can be accessed via www.disabilitywatford.org.uk