Temporary Pavement/Cafe Licences
A pavement licence is a licence granted by the local authority which allows the licence-holder to place removable furniture over certain highways adjacent to the premises in relation to which the application was made, for certain purposes. This is a streamlined process to allow businesses to secure these licences quickly and, where they are deemed to have been granted, allow these licences to remain in place for such period as the local authority may specify in the licence, or no limit may be placed on their duration, but in all circumstances such a licence may not extend beyond 30 September 2023. Where a pavement licence is granted, clear access routes on the highway will need to be maintained, taking into account the needs of all users, including disabled people.
A licence will only be issued where there is a minimum clearance of 2.5m between the highway kerb or other street furniture i.e. bus stop, railings and the tables/chairs. This is to allow social distancing on the highway.
The application form can be found here where you will be required to register to be able to submit the application.
Before you start...
- You'll need your public liability insurance certificate (minimum of £5 million).
- You will be required to upload your location and site plans.
- You will also need to upload a copy of any required planning permissions and any licences required under the Licensing Act 2003.
What you need to do next.
- Register and complete application at https://my.threerivers.gov.uk/MyServices
- Upload all supporting documents
- A notice needs to be displayed outside the premises with details of the application, click here for downloadable notice template (docx version) or downloadable notice template (pdf version)
- There will be a 5 working day (7 calendar days) consultation period
- Your permit will be determined within 10 working days (14 calendar days) on receipt of a valid application
- The licensing team will send your application for consultation to the following responsible authorities:
- Hertfordshire County Council
Highways Business Support Team
First Floor (North West Block)
- The Fire Authority
Tel: 01707 292310
- Chief Officer of Police
Tel: 01923 472280
- Enforcing Authority: Health & Safety at Work etc Act 1974
Tel: 01923 727005
- Local Planning Authority
Tel: 01923 776611
- Local Town or Parish Council
7. Environmetal Health
Environmental Health Team
Three Rivers District Council
Tel: 01923 776611