Temporary Accommodation

The Temporary Accommodation Placement Policy can be downloaded below.

Temporary Accommodation Placement Policy (pdf)

Temporary Accommodation will likely be one of the following:-

  • Private sector accommodation either shared facility or self contained and all are highly likely to be out of the Three Rivers District
  • Local authority hostel accommodation out of the TRDC district
  • In an emergency when no other temporary accommodation is available, bed and breakfast accommodation may be sourced.

This is the most commonly used temporary accommodation for applicants as this is most readily available. However in addition to the above, if there is availability for accommodation in the District, applicants will be then moved to;

  • Self contained flats in Lincoln Drive (South Oxhey) managed by Network Homes (20 units only)
  • Housing association general stock or Council owned properties on a contractual tenancy or license (can be of any size and these units are rarely available)

Why is temporary accommodation used?

Temporary accommodation is provided for people who are homeless and owed a s188 interim duty under the Housing Act 1996 (as amended). 

Temporary accommodation would be provided;

  • While further enquiries into the circumstances of your homelessness are being made
  • Until a decision is reached on your homelessness
  • If the Council accepts responsibility to house you, until an offer of secure accommodation can be made.

Temporary accommodation occupation has increased in recent years and many households are placed into temporary accommodation out of the Three Rivers District. The average times that applicants spend in temporary accommodation is typically between six months and two years. There is a large demand for housing and sourcing stock to meet that need can prove difficult.

How is it allocated?

The Housing Supply Team will arrange temporary accommodation where available taking into account the statutory requirements on local authorities in respect of suitability of accommodation, including the Suitability of Accommodation Order 2012, and the Homelessness Code of Guidance 2006

All of an applicants personal circumstances will be considered including the ability to access local transport links, support service and medical services.

Applicants will be provided with suitable temporary accommodation and be given as much information on local services as possible

Conditions of occupation

When offered temporary accommodation, applicants are asked to sign an occupancy agreement advising of the conditions to adhere to when occupying the accommodation. The Housing Supply Team will complete the relevant temporary accommodation paperwork with you.

It is in applicants' interests to read these conditions thoroughly as a breach of the occupancy agreement could result in you losing your temporary accommodation and the Council discharging its interim or full homeless duty towards you.

Residents are also strongly advised to insure personal belongings, as the Council cannot accept responsibility for any damage to them during the stay in temporary accommodation.

Applicants of temporary accommodation are responsible for obtaining their own television licence and arranging for their own storage.

Any queries concerning the occupancy agreements or rights during occupation of temporary accommodation should be directed to your Housing Options Officer.

Is there any entitlement to benefits?

Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit may be awarded depending on a family's income.  The relevant application forms will be completed during the temporary accommodation sign up process and the applicants must ensure they return the required supporting documents as soon as possible in order for their claim to be processed.

You must also notify the DWP of your change of address.

What if an offer is refused?

If an applicant refuses what the Council considers to be reasonable and suitable temporary accommodation then the interim duty to accommodate will end.  It is likely no alternative interim accommodation will be provided.

Moving Applicants in temporary accommodation

Applicants can be moved from one temporary accommodation to another at short notice but we would aim to give 24 hours notice.

If accommodation closer to the Three Rivers District becomes available, applicants will be moved into this accommodation.

There is nothing that will make the re housing process any quicker and if there is an update on an applicants case they will be contacted by their Housing Options Officer.

Applicants do not need to continually contact the service asking for updates.

Temporary Accommodation