Finding Private Rented Accommodation


Unfortunately the demand for social housing is far greater than the supply and therefore the private rented sector is the main housing option for most people. This can include renting a self-contained property, a flat-share with other people or renting a room in a house.

The Three Rivers District is an expensive area and can be unaffordable for some people. Rent charges are often cheaper in neighbouring authorities and you may find the private rented sector is more affordable if you are able to move to another area.

The Money Advice Service offer a calculator to help you calculate out how much rent charge you can afford. 

Where can I find private rented sector properties?

Flat shares or rooms to rent can be found on websites such as Spareroom, RoomBuddies and roomgo.

Self-contained properties can be found on websites such as Your Move and Rightmove. High street letting agents can also assist you in finding a property to rent. 

Is a deposit required?

It is standard practice for landlords to ask for a deposit when you sign a tenancy. As of June 2019 this deposit is now capped at a maximum of five weeks' rent, where a property has an annual rent of under £50,000.00. Your landlord must protect your deposit in a national tenancy deposit protection scheme and your full deposit should be returned at the end of a tenancy if you do not owe any rent arrears and no damage has been caused to the property.

Can I get help paying my rent?

Depending on your income and savings you may be eligible to Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit. The maximum amount you can receive is based on the size of the property you need and the Local Housing Allowance (LHA). 

The South West Herts LHA rates can be found here. If your rent is higher than the LHA rate you will be responsible to pay the difference.

You can use the entitledto benefits calculator to see if you are eligible for Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit. Please note this should only be used as a guide.

Seeking Private Accommodation