Private Housing

The Housing Options service also offer advice on securing accommodation in the private rented sector. The private rented sector is an invaluable resource for people cannot afford to or do not wish to purchase they own property.

Information for tenants

Due to the shortage of social housing, very few people are successful in bidding for a property through the Housing Needs Register and the private rented sector is a likely to be a speedier option to resolving most people's housing need and offers a greater choice of area.

Information on finding accommodation in the private rented sector can be found here.

Information for landlords

Do you have a property to rent?

If you are a landlord looking to rent a property, the Council operates a Rent Deposit Guarantee Scheme (RDGS).

The RDGS is a free scheme offered to landlords. If you let your property through the RDGS you can expect the following services:-

  • The Council will guarantee up to one months rent to cover non-payment of rent or any damages caused to a property by a tenant.
  • If you rent your property through the RDGS you know your tenant will have the legal right to rent in the UK. This is known as the Right to Rent Check.
  • The Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) and other legal documents are prepared by the Council.
  • A inventory and final inspection will be completed by the Council.
  • The Housing Options Team complete affordability assessments to ensure a prospective tenant can afford the rent charge and sustain a tenancy.

The Council is ideally looking for properties in the Three Rivers District, however we are happy to consider properties in different areas.

If you are a landlord with a property and would like further information please contact the Housing Supply Team or on 01923 776611 and ask to speak to Jason Hagland. 

The Tenancy Agreement Service is a legal information resource providing information on aspects of housing law in England and Wales.

For further information both for tenants and landlords, offer a one-stop-shop service for information and frequently asked questions about UK Tenancy Agreements*

* is a private company and Three Rivers District Council is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked website and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within them.

Private Housing