The council has a legal duty to ensure that incidents of environmental pollution, both domestic and industrial are kept to a minimum.
Environmental pollution can take many forms:
- Noise from domestic and commercial premises.
- Smoke from premises and air quality
- Fireworks and firework displays
- Artificial Light Pollution
- Smells and Odour from industry, trade or business premises
- Accumulation or deposits on premises
- Insect and fly infestations from industrial, trade or business premises
A major pollution concern in recent years both in the home and industrially has been around the use of asbestos. If asbestos is in good condition it shouldn't cause health problems.
Whilst asbestos is no longer commonly used in the home, it could still cause health and environmental problems and needs to be removed and disposed of with care. If safety advice is followed carefully, asbestos may be safely dismantled and disposed of.
For further information or advice please contact the Health and Safety Executive on 0300 003 1747.