New premises licence application - Gambling Act 2005


A premises licence can be issued to the following premises:

  • Casinos 
  • Bingo Halls 
  • Adult Gaming Centres 
  • Family Entertainment Centres 
  • Betting Premises 

Only one premises licence may be issued for any particular premises at any time, although the licence may authorise more than one type of gambling. Tracks have an exemption to this rule, as they may be subject to more than one premises licence, as long as the licence applies to a specific area of the track. An application for a premises licence may only be made by persons (which includes companies and partnerships):

  • Who is 18 years and over 
  • Who have the right to occupy the premises 
  • Who have/who have applied for an operating licence which allows him/her to carry out the proposed activity for example, an applicant applying for an adult gaming centre must have/applied for a gaming machine general AGC Operators Licence. 

A premises licence may only be issued once the appropriate Operating Licence has been issued by the Gambling Commission. Track owners who wish to offer betting facilities themselves, rather than through an on course betting operator must also apply for an Operators Licence.