Life events




This page contains information on Life Events, such as births, marriages and deaths.

The local Register Office is at:

31 Hempstead Road
WD17 3EY
Telephone 0300 1234045

Opening Hours (by appointment only) are:

Monday to Thursday - 8.30am to 5pm
Friday - 8.30am to 4pm

Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies (HALS) can provide copies of marriage and burial registers and provide information about family history.


Hertfordshire County Council provides further information about registering a birth


Hertfordshire County Council provides useful information about wedding venues, what is required to get married and civil partnerships.

Marriage Care is a point of reference for all those getting married and includes UK marriage statistics.


There are several organisations that can offer advice, information and support about divorce.

The UK's largest and most experienced relationship counselling organisation.

The leading support organisation for lone parent families in England and Wales.

National Family Mediation
A network of over 60 local not-for-profit Family Mediation Services in England and Wales, National Family Mediation (NFM) offers help to couples, married or unmarried, who are in the process of separation and divorce.


When someone dies, the doctor who was treating the deceased will issue a medical certificate of cause of death to the relatives.  The person who will be registering the death must take this certificate to the local Registrar's Office (see details above). 

Occasionally, if the death was sudden or the doctor treating the deceased is unavailable, it may not be possible for a medical certificate of cause of death to be issued.  If this happens, the death will have to be reported to the coroner which may lead to a delay in registering the death.

Hertfordshire County Council provides further information about registering a death.


There are several organisations that can offer help and support about bereavement.
Cruse Bereavement Care
Anyone can contact Cruse if they want to talk about themselves or someone they know who has been affected by a death

Inland Revenue
Financial help and advice for people who are bereaved