Help for people with money problems

This page has information on support available from:


Citizens Advice

A limited face to face service is available at all offices by appointment. Paperwork can be left and collected and we are still offering full advice and specialist casework services as usual.

South Oxhey: The office is open 10-4 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. You can telephone us for advice Monday to Friday 10.00 - 4.00 on our local advice number  0208 515 8321, if no answer please leave a message and we will call you back within 3 working days.

Abbots Langley: The office is open Monday 10-4, Tuesday 10-3, Thursday 10-3 and Friday 10-1. You can telephone us for advice Monday to Friday, 10.00 - 4.00 on our local advice number 01923 271 707, if no answer please leave a message and we will call you back within 3 working days.

Rickmansworth:  The office is open Monday and Tuesday, 10.00 - 4.00, Thursday 10-4 and Friday 10-3. You can telephone us for advice Monday to Friday 10-4 on our local advice number 01923 293 136, if no answer please leave a message and we will call you back within 3 working days. 

For our local advice numbers please do indicate if the matter is urgent.

Hertfordshire (county wide) Adviceline: Monday - Friday 10.00am - 4.00pm 0800 144 8848 

You can contact us directly by email through our website

You can also contact our by email or webchat via our national website

For people who live anywhere else in Hertfordshire - 03444 111 444. Monday - Friday 10am - 4pm

You can also contact them through webchat: Webchat

For online advice about debt go to: Talk to a debt adviser Mon-Fri 8am-7pm

For Help to Claim Universal Credit go to: Get Help Applying for Universal Credit Mon-Fri 8am – 6pm

For help with consumer services including the supply of gas or electricity go to: Consumer Service

The National Citizens Advice website contains lots of useful advice regarding employment, benefits, advice for the self-employed, advice if you cannot pay your bills, and advice if you are worried about working.

They also provide national helplines:

Free national Help to Claim phone service: 0800 144 8444 or Textphone: 18001 0800 144 8444

Advisers are available 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday. If you need a British Sign Language interpreter, call the textphone number. An adviser can arrange for an interpreter to translate for you over a video call.

Citizens Advice consumer helpline: 0808 223 1133 or Textphone: 18001 0808 223 1133

Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

Council Tax and Housing Benefit

There are a number of discounts available for Council Tax. You can read more on our website and apply online. You can also call the Benefits Section on 01923 773138 or email

If you are having trouble coping with paying your rent – then you may be able to claim Universal Credit (See below). If you are of Pensionable Age or you are living in supported accommodation you can still make a claim for Housing Benefit. More information is on our website and apply online. You can also call the Benefits Section on 01923 773138 or email

Universal Credit

You can check you are eligible for Universal Credit to help you with your living costs if you are on low income or out of work. Visit the government’s website: How to claim Universal Credit  The website includes information on how to make a claim, applying for an advance on your first payment and reporting changes of circumstances.

Universal Credit helpline: 0800 328 5644 or Textphone: 0800 328 1344

NGT text relay – if you cannot hear or speak on the phone: 18001 then 0800 328 5644

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm


You gas or electric energy supplier should help you find other ways to keep your energy supply stay connected if you cannot afford to top up because you are ill with coronavirus or following guidance to self-isolated. You can read more on the Citizens Advice website at: You can't afford to top up your meter


There are a number of Foodbanks operating in Three Rivers. These provide 3 days of emergency food to local people in crisis. You can request a Foodbank Voucher from Three Rivers District Council by contacting us on 01923 776611. You will be directed to the nearest available Foodbank that can support you

Money Advice

Hertfordshire County Council’s Money Advice Unit has a series of online factsheets about benefits and where to go for money advice. This includes benefits and financial advice for people affected by coronavirus.

Their first Universal Credit e-learning course is now available. Developed in partnership with Child Poverty Action Group, the UK’s leading benefits advice specialists. The course can be accessed from

Click on the link on the right hand side of the page called ’courses for professionals – universal credit’.

The course is free and you can access this short, interactive learning from your tablet, phone, laptop or PC.  The course takes about 30 – 40  minutes to complete. You can do it in one session or spread it over a time to suit yourself.

You can also access information on the National Money Advice Service website. You can call the national helpline for impartial money advice on 0800 138 7777.


Turn2us is a national charity helping people when times get tough. They provide financial support to help people get back on track.

Use their free and easy-to-use Benefits Calculator and Grants Search tools to check what benefits you might be able to claim and what grants you might be able to apply for.

StepChange Debt Charity

StepChange is a debt charity the offer free, confidential and expert debt advice online or over the phone. They recommend the best debt solutions for your individual circumstances and support you while you deal with your debt problems, for as long as you need help. They also campaign on your behalf to reduce the risk of problem debt and the harm it causes.

 Green Home Grants 

This scheme is targeting households who would like a warmer home but cannot afford to make energy-saving home improvements, with fully funded measures worth up to £10,000 for homeowners – or £5,000 contribution for landlords.  More information can be found here.