Hackney Carriage and Private Hire knowledge test
As part of an application for a Private Hire/Hackney Carriage Driver’s Licence or a Private Hire Operator Licence candidates are required to pass a written knowledge test.
PLEASE NOTE: This test can only be booked once a valid application has been submitted to the Licensing Department.
The driver licence test will consist out of 30 multiple choice questions. There will be 4 sections in this test:
section 1 will be 15 questions based on the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Policy (pdf) and the laws relating to PH and HC licensing - the pass mark for this section will be 100%. This means that an applicant must answer ALL questions in this section correctly - if any question is incorrect then this will be an automatic failure of the entire test
- If you are applying for a private hire driver licence you need to study section 16, 18, 19 and 20 and appendix 1, 2, 3, 5, 8 and 9
- If you are applying for a Hackney Carriage driver licence you need to study section 16, 18, 19 and 20 and appendix 1, 2, 4, 6, 7 and 9
- If you are applying for a dual driver licence you need to study all sections and appendixes as above under private hire and Hackney Carriage
- If you are applying for a private hire operator licence then you need to study section 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 and appendix 2, 3, 7, 9 and 11
section 2 will be 5 questions based on numeracy - the pass mark for this section will be 80%
section 3 will be 5 questions based on the High Way code - the pass mark for this section will be 80%
section 4 will be 5 questions based on routes and locations of places within Three Rivers District area - the pass mark for this section will be 80%
The operator licence test will consist out of 20 multiple choice questions. This test will cover the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Policy (pdf) in relation to Private Hire drivers, vehicles and operator licences, as well as the relevant law and legislation regarding private hire. The pass mark for the test is 100%.
There are no specimen tests to view or study. This is because we want licence holders to have a genuine and thorough knowledge of the subject areas being tested and we do not consider this can be properly achieved or gauged where applicants are able to memorise a select number of questions and answers.
Links to useful guidance
Booking a test
All knowledge test bookings are made online. To book, amend or cancel a test please follow this link https://my.threerivers.gov.uk/MyServices . Please note that you will need to create an account first if you do not already have one.
The knowledge tests are held at Three Rivers District Council Offices, Northway, Rickmansworth, WD3 1RL. There is a car park situated directly outside our offices, as well as on Northway. Please note that the car parks are pay and display.
- Bookings are on a first come first served basis - due to Covid-19 we are limiting the amount of persons permitted in one test to 6.
- Any person found cheating will be disqualified from the test and not permitted to make another application for a period of one year
- No maps/mapbooks/notes are allowed to be consulted during the test
- No electronic devices such as mobile phones or tablets must be used whilst the test is taking place. Any candidate seen to be using such a device will be deemed as cheating by the invigilator and will be asked to leave the test and their application will be refused
- The results are final and we will not enter into any discussion regarding the outcome of the test
- The test invigilator will not be able to help you read the questions or answers, or to give any assistance with answering the questions. If you have any other queries or problems, please raise your hand and the invigilator will assist you.
- Should you fail your first test you will be required to rebook a new test and pay £16 fee for every subsequent test required. An applicant may sit a maximum of 5 knowledge tests, if after 5 tests a pass result is still not achieved then the application will be refused.