New Driver Licenses - Hackney Carriage, private hire or dual
To apply for a licence in Three Rivers, you must:
- have held a full UK DVLA driving licence for a minimum of 3 years prior to applying
- be over the age of 21
- have the legal right to work in the UK, and be able to produce documents to prove this
- satisfy us that you are a 'fit and proper person' to hold a driver's licence
The 'fit and proper' requirement is wide ranging, but may take into account any previous criminal convictions or cautions, any motoring offences or endorsements, your health and physical condition, the right to undertake employment in the UK, and other such matters as we consider appropriate. Our Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Policy will advise about what we will take into consideration.
Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Drivers Licence shall be issued for a standard length of three years (maximum duration). Any shorter duration must be requested by an applicant and shall only be issued when the Licensing Authority considers it is appropriate due to the specific circumstances of the case.
Step 1: Read and understand our Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Policy
We have put extensive information regarding the licensing process, our fees, our requirements and conditions in our policy to help applicants and current drivers. We strongly advise all persons to read and understand the policy sections relevant to your application before applying for a licence.
When you are content that you meet our licensing requirements, as outlined in the policy and would like to apply for a new Hackney Carriage or Private Hire or Dual driver licence (not already a driver with us) then proceed to Stage 2. Please follow the stages in the order outlined below to ensure you application is made to us correctly.
Our Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Policy will advise about what we will take into consideration.
Step 2: Submit a valid application
Check you have all the required information, documents and means of making payment before commencing with your application.
Please submit all required application form(s) and supporting documentation via email, as clear legible scans.
A valid application must include:
- The fully completed application form including two character references
- An unused DVLA online check code valid for at least 21 days when submitted to the licensing department
- A group two medical report completed by your own GP - please note that this medical report must be dated less than 3 months old at the time that the licensing team are in a position to make a decision as to whether or not to grant a licence. Therefore it is advised to obtain this document after you have successfully passed the knowledge test.
- An enhanced driving qualification certificate
- A taxi safeguarding course pass certificate
- Evidence of your immigration status/right to work in the UK (unrestricted) e.g. passport, biometric card
- Two recent passport photos - please read the photo guidance
- DVLA driving licence photocard (displaying your current home address)
- A certificate of good character if you have not lived in the UK for the last 5 years continuously - must be in English and dated less than 3 months old when submitted with application
- A valid enhanced DBS certificate;
- If it has been registered on the DBS update service - we can only accept this if you have paid for it and the certificate is for an Enhanced DBS where the “Position applied for” is “Other Workforce” AND “Taxi/Private Hire Driver”. We will need to see the original certificate therefore a scan of the certificate must be submitted with the application; OR
- if you need to apply for a new certificate please do so online here
- Evidence of your National Insurance number
- Fully completed acknowledgment of employment form (private hire/dual licence only)
- Payment for the application fee to be made by calling 01923 776611 - please see list of fees (pdf). Please submit the application first before making payment
Step 2: Knowledge Test
As part of the application process all applicants will be required to pass a written knowledge test. This test can only be booked once an application has been submitted and paid for, as the cost of the first test is included in the application fee. This test ensures that prospective drivers have a good knowledge of the geographical area of our district as well as an understanding of the conditions, legislation and regulations that apply to all licensed drivers. For more information on this test please see our knowledge test page.
Step 3: Decision
Once all enquiries have been completed, you have passed your Knowledge Test and we are satisfied that you are a fit and proper person to hold a licence with this Authority, we will finalise your application. After an administration processing period we will be able to create your licence and badges. This processing period varies depending on applicant numbers so we are unable to advise on specific timescales. Your licence certificate will be sent via email (please ensure that we have the correct email address for you), and once created your badge will be available to collect on a prearrange date.
Please note that all checks may take up to 6 weeks or longer to complete and you will not be entitled to work as a taxi driver during this period. If you do not complete the application process within 3 months then you may have to apply for another DBS, DVLA check and medical at your own expense. If you do not complete the application process within 6 months and you do not liaise with the Licensing Department during this period then the application will be returned null and void and you will need to apply again.
If a decision has been made that you are not deemed fit and proper, then we may refuse your application. You will have the right to appeal against the decision, and details will be provided to you at the appropriate time. Should your application be refused your details will be uploaded to the NAFN (National Anti-Fraud Network). Please note, there is no right of appeal to this process.
Licences will be valid for three years (one year in certain circumstances). We strongly advise our drivers upon receipt of their licence to diarise their expiry dates in their phones and calendars etc. It is your responsibility as a licensed private hire driver to ensure that your current licence is valid and that any renewal application is started in plenty of time.
IMPORTANT Please be aware that all our licensed drivers are required to undergo annual DBS checks. It is the licence holders responsibility to ensure all their documents, including their drivers' licence are current and up to date.
It is an offence to drive a licenced vehicle without the appropriate licence issued by the local authority.
For more information about taxi and private hire driver licences, please use the online form