Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Driver Licenses
Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Driver Licenses
To drive hackney carriages (taxis) or private hire vehicles licensed by Three Rivers District Council, you must hold a licence issued by us.
To apply for a licence in Three Rivers, you must:
- have a minimum of 2 years driving experience AND hold a full UK car driving licence for at least 12 months prior to applying. An equivalent driving licence from an EU country will also be considered.
- Be over the age of 21
- have the legal right to work in the UK, and be able to produce documents to prove this;
- satisfy us that you are a 'fit and proper person' to hold a driver's licence.
The 'fit and proper' requirement is wide ranging, but may take into account any previous criminal convictions or cautions, any motoring offences or endorsements, your health and physical condition, the right to undertake employment in the UK, and other such matters as we consider appropriate. Our Suitability Policy will advise about what we will take into consideration.
Applying for a licence
A driver licence application pack can be requested by calling us on 01923 776611, or alternatively by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The forms are also available to collect from Three Rivers Council reception.
To submit the application you will have to book an appointment with a member of the Licensing team. This appointment can be arranged by contacting us on the above details. Please be aware that you cannot just turn up at our offices to submit an application without prior arrangement or appointment.
At this appointment you will have to submit the following:
- the fully completed application form including 2 character references
- your current driving licence showing your current address
- fully completed and signed DVLA mandate form
- a minimum of 3 forms of ID from the list provided
- fully completed and signed enhanced disclosure form from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
- group two medical report completed by your own GP
- 2 recent colour passport photos
- acknowledgment of employment form, signed and dated by operator for whom you wish to work for (private hire applicants only)
- payment of the application fees
Upon receipt of your application we will arrange for the necessary checks to be made. These checks include an enhanced DBS check and a full DVLA driving licence check. We also do a local Police check.
As part of the application process you will be required to pass a written knowledge test. This test ensures that prospective drivers have a good knowledge of the geography of our district as well as an awareness of the conditions and rules and regulations that apply to licensed drivers. More information regarding this test will be given to you during the application appointment.
Please note that all checks may take up to 6 weeks or longer to complete and you will not be entitled to work as a taxi driver during this period.
Only once we have received all of the required documents and the results of the various checks have been received, will your application be determined. Generally licences are likely to be granted if the applicant:
- has no previous criminal convictions, cautions, motoring offences or endorsements
- has never had a taxi licence refused, suspended or revoked
- has been certified as satisfying DVLA’s Group 2 medical standards by their own GP
- has the unrestricted right to work in the UK
- is not subject to any other concerns about whether they are fit and proper to hold a licence
If one or more of the above points cannot be satisfied, it does not necessarily mean that the application will be refused, but we will need to consider your circumstances more carefully. You may be asked to attend an interview with officers to clarify certain aspects of your application, or your application may be referred to a licensing committee hearing to be determined.
Our Suitability Policy gives more information about what we will consider when we determine applications for licences.
If we are not satisfied that an applicant is fit and proper, then we may refuse your application. You will have the right to appeal against the decision, and details will be provided to you at the appropriate time.
Issue of a licence
If your application is granted, we will contact you to let you know, and to make an appointment for you to collect your new licence and a driver's badge. You must wear the badge at all times while working as a hackney carriage or private hire driver.
If you are working for an operator, you must provide them with a copy of your licence.
You must adhere to your driver conditions at all times.
Licences will be valid for three years (one year in certain cases), and we will send you the forms to renew your licence towards the end of this period. Renewal applications must be received before your licence expires to ensure your right to continue working.
Please be aware that all our licensed drivers are required to undergo annual DVLA and DBS checks. The forms and a reminder will be sent out to you at least a month before the checks are due.
For more information about taxi and private hire driver licences, please phone 01923 776611 or email email@example.com