New Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Driver Licenses
8 April 2020 - NEW Applications for Hackney Carriage & Private Hire Drivers and Private Hire Operators SUSPENDED
Due to the current situation with Covid-19 (coronavirus), we are unable to accept any new applications due to applicants being unable to obtain a medical certificate from their GP. We are also not able to offer any knowledge test appointments for new applicants whilst the Council offices remain closed.
To apply for a licence in Three Rivers, you must:
- have held a full UK DVLA driving licence for 3 years prior to applying.
- Be over the age of 21
- have the legal right to work in the UK, and be able to produce documents to prove this;
- satisfy us that you are a 'fit and proper person' to hold a driver's licence.
The 'fit and proper' requirement is wide ranging, but may take into account any previous criminal convictions or cautions, any motoring offences or endorsements, your health and physical condition, the right to undertake employment in the UK, and other such matters as we consider appropriate. Our Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Policy will advise about what we will take into consideration.
Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Drivers Licence shall be issued for a standard length of three years (maximum duration). Any shorter duration must be requested by an applicant and shall only be issued when the Licensing Authority considers it is appropriate due to the specific circumstances of the case.
Procedure for applying for a licence
Please submit all application(s), documentation and fees in reception. Please be aware that all relevant fees must be paid when submitting an application and that only card payments are acceptable.
Please submit the following:
- The fully completed application form including two character references
- A valid, unused DVLA online check code
- The group two medical report completed by your own GP - please note that this must be dated less than 3 months old at the time the licensing team are in a position to make a decision as to whether or not to grant a licence. Therefore it is advised to obtain this document after you have successfully passed the knowledge test.
- An enhanced driving qualification certificate
- A taxi safeguarding course pass certificate
- Evidence of your immigration status/right to work in the UK (unrestricted) - usually passport or visa
- Two recent passport photos - please read the photo guidance
- DVLA driving licence photocard (displaying your current home address)
- A certificate of good character if you have not lived in the UK for the last 5 years continuously - must be in English and dated less than 3 months old when submitted with application
- A valid enhanced DBS certificate dated within last 3 months which has been registered on the DBS update service OR if you have submitted a DBS application online through First Advantage (previously GBG) then please provide the supporting documents to verify your application.
- Proof of your National Insurance number
- The complete acknowledgment of employment form (private hire only)
- Payment for the application fee for a three year licence - £421.00
- Payment for the DBS application fee - £52.60
Knowledge Test: As part of the application process all applicants will be required to pass a written knowledge test. This test can only be booked once an application has been submitted and paid for, as the cost of the first test is included in the application fee. This test ensures that prospective drivers have a good knowledge of the geographical area of our district as well as an understanding of the conditions, legislation and regulations that apply to all licensed drivers. For more information on this test please see our knowledge test page.
Please note that all checks may take up to 6 weeks or longer to complete and you will not be entitled to work as a taxi driver during this period. If you do not complete the application process within 3 months then you may have to apply for another DBS, DVLA check and medical at your own expense. If you do not complete the application process within 6 months and you do not liaise with the Licensing Department during this period then the application will be returned null and void and you will need to apply again.
Grant of a licence
Upon receipt of satisfactory DVLA, Enhanced DBS and Medical Report checks, and you having passed the Knowledge Test, undertaken all necessary training, paid the full fee(s); and all of your other checks and documents were found to be satisfactory, you will be issued with a licence and badge. If any information that you have not previously declared on your application form is found to have come to light upon receipt of the DVLA, DBS or police check, you may be refused a licence. Our Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Policy(pdf) gives more information about what will be considered when determining your application.
If a decision has been made that you are not deemed fit and proper, then we may refuse your application. You will have the right to appeal against the decision, and details will be provided to you at the appropriate time. Should your application be refused your details will be uploaded to the NAFN (National Anti-Fraud Network). Please note, there is no right of appeal to this process.
Licences will be valid for three years (one year in certain circumstances).
Please be aware that all our licensed drivers are required to undergo annual DVLA and DBS checks. It is the licence holders responsibility to ensure all their documents, including their drivers' licence are current and up to date.
It is an offence to drive a licenced vehicle without the appropriate licence issued by the local authority.
For more information about taxi and private hire driver licences, please phone 01923 776611 or email email@example.com.