Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Driver Licence Renewals
IMPORTANT: All granted Hackney Carriage and private hire driver licenses must be renewed before their expiry. It is recommended that renewal applications are submitted at least 4 weeks prior to expiry, as a renewed licence will not be issued without officers being satisfied that the driver remains fit and proper to be licensed. There are several checks that need to be completed and until these are complete a licence will not be issued. It is the drivers responsibility to renew on time.
Step 1: Submit a valid application
Check you have all the required information, documents and means of making payment before commencing with your application.
Please submit all required application form(s) and supporting documentation via email, as clear legible scans.
A valid application must include:
- The fully completed application form
- An unused DVLA online check code valid for at least 21 days when submitted to the licensing department
- A group two medical report if due
- A taxi safeguarding course pass certificate if not previously submitted
- Evidence of your immigration status/right to work in the UK (unrestricted) e.g. passport, biometric card
- Two recent passport photos - please read the photo guidance
- DVLA driving licence photocard (displaying your current home address)
- A valid enhanced DBS certificate;
- If it has been registered on the DBS update service - we can only accept this if you have paid for it and the certificate is for an Enhanced DBS where the “Position applied for” is “Other Workforce” AND “Taxi/Private Hire Driver”. We will need to see the original certificate therefore a scan of the certificate must be submitted with the application; OR
- if you need to apply for a new certificate please do so online here
- Evidence of your National Insurance number
- Payment for the application fee to be made by calling 01923 776611 - please see list of fees (pdf). Please submit the application first before making payment
Step 2: Decision
Once all enquiries have been completed and we are satisfied that you remain a fit and proper person to hold a driver licence with this Authority, we will finalise your application. After an administration processing period we will be able to create your licence and badges. This processing period varies depending on applicant numbers so we are unable to advise on specific timescales. Therefore it is of utmost importance to submit your renewal application at least 4 weeks prior to the expiry of your current licence.
Your licence certificate will be sent via email (please ensure that we have the correct email address for you), and once created your badge will be available to collect on a prearrange date.
We strongly advise our drivers upon receipt of their licence to diarise their expiry dates in their phones and calendars etc. It is your responsibility as a licensed private hire driver to ensure that your current licence is valid and that any renewal application is started in plenty of time. Please be aware that all our licensed drivers are required to undergo annual DVLA and DBS checks. It is the licence holders responsibility to ensure all their documents, including their drivers' licence are current and up to date.Any application to renew a licence that has gone beyond its expiry date will be rejected and the applicant will be considered as a new applicant. In the avoidance of doubt, it is unlawful to driver a licensed vehicle without the appropriate licence and doing so may lead to prosecution.
For more information about taxi and private hire driver licences, please see our online form