EU Transition

The UK has left the EU

The UK has left the EU and new rules come into effect from 1 January 2021. The government has published advice and information about how individuals and businesses can prepare -

Local Businesses

Not sure whether your business needs to prepare for the EU transition? Confused about how to prepare?

You will most likely need to take action even if don’t import or export goods, regardless of the outcome of the UK’s negotiations with the EU.

If you answer yes to any of the questions below, use the ‘checker’ tool at to get a personalised list of actions.  For the latest Trading Standards and Environmental Health updates see Hertfordshire Local Enterprise Partnership website

  • Do you import or export to the EU?
  • Do you move goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland?
  • Do you have EU suppliers? (your distributors may use EU suppliers)
  • Do you manufacture or sell CE marked products?
  • Do you operate in a sector with specific changes, for example cosmetics and food businesses? (check your sector)
  • Do you deliver business services to EU markets or travel for business? (including pet travel)
  • Do you hold EU customer personal data?
  • Do you employ people from outside the UK?

Specific support for Hertfordshire organisations

Here’s how Hertfordshire organisations can help your business with the EU Transition:

  • Hertfordshire Trading Standards is responsible for ensuring certain products placed on the market are safe and labelled correctly.  This includes food and animal feed products and products that must meet specific safety standards.  Hertfordshire Trading Standards is supporting local businesses by ensuring that they are kept up to date with legislative changes and can continue to place compliant products on the market. Trading Standards Business Advice Line: 01707281401
  • The Watford/Three Rivers Environmental Health team is responsible for the hygiene and safety of food, Health and identification marks and Health Certificates. They are supporting local businesses by ensuring that they are kept up to date with legislative changes and can continue import and export safe food from the EU.
  • Hertfordshire Growth Hub and their EU Transition Advisors can support businesses by:
    • Keeping you up-to-date with transition news and updates
    • Providing guidance that is tailored specifically for your business sector
    • Working with you to understand what exactly EU transition means for your business
    • Supporting you to access a host of fully funded support programmes delivered by Hertfordshire Growth Hub and our Partners

Visit to view ‘News and Blogs’ and register or sign in to visit our Knowledge Bank articles

Useful web links

Staying in the UK if you're an EU citizen

If you are an EU citizen or from Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, then the Settlement Scheme allows you and your close family members to continue to live and work in the UK. Registration under the scheme will mean that you will remain eligible for:

  • Public services, such as healthcare and schools
  • Public funds and pensions
  • British citizenship, if you want to apply and meet the requirements.

Check if you need to apply for EU Settlement Status -

How to apply

This video from by the Home Office explains the two ways of applying for the EU Settlement Scheme.

Using the app

This video by the Home Office gives some tips on applying via the app.

There is an Assisted Digital service for anyone who does not have the appropriate access, skills or confidence to complete the EU Settlement Scheme form.

You can also sign-up to e-mail updates to receive notifications.