Enforcement of Dropped Kerbs

The Council can issue Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs) to drivers who park on the carriageway adjacent to a dropped kerb.

A dropped kerb is one which has been lowered to assist pedestrians crossing the carriageway or vehicles entering or leaving the carriageway.  This enforcement benefits members of the public who have their driveways blocked and ensures that minimum inconvenience is caused to pedestrians, wheelchair and Motability scooter users and those pushing prams and pushchairs on footways.

Residential Driveways

To report the obstruction of a residential driveway which has a dropped kerb, please call Three Rivers Parking Services on 0208 207 7422 quoting your name and address.

The office is open from 9am – 5.15pm Monday to Thursday, and 9am - 5pm on Fridays (excluding Bank Holidays).

A Civil Enforcement Officer (CEO) will then attend the location at their earliest opportunity. In line with legislative requirements, dropped kerb enforcement on residential or commercial driveways, can only be conducted with the express consent of the occupier whose access has been obstructed. The CEO will require the occupier to sign a consent form when they visit the property, before issuing a Penalty Charge Notice. If this permission is not given or if the occupier is not present, then no action will be taken.

Please note that if this permission is not given or if the occupier is not present for any reason, then no action will be taken. Equally, vehicles that are parked close to the dropped kerb but not physically preventing a vehicle from coming or going will not fall under the criteria of the contravention and a penalty will not be issued in such circumstances.

The Parking Service does not have the power to remove vehicles. If you believe a vehicle is causing an obstruction or you find that your driveway is blocked outside of the Parking Service hours then you should contact the Police Non-Emergency line on 101.

Please be advised there are various exceptions to this enforcement and principally they cover:-

  • Vehicles parked wholly within a designated parking place or any other part of the carriageway where parking is specifically authorised
  • Vehicles used by the fire, ambulance or police services
  • Loading and unloading
  • Vehicles used for waste collection, building works or road works

Pedestrian Crossing Points

Unlike residential or commercial driveways, the Parking Service can issue Penalty Charge Notices to any vehicle that is obstructing a pedestrian crossing point at any time.

Please note that CEOs are unable to enforce on private roads.