Domestic Abuse

Report Domestic Abuse

In this section:

  • What is Domestic Abuse
  • Support within Three Rivers
  • Police disclosure scheme – Clare’s Law
  • Additional support
  • Posters and Leaflets

 What is Domestic Abuse?

Domestic Abuse is defined as any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over, who are, or have been, intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality. This definition, which is not a legal definition, includes so called 'honour-based violence’, female genital mutilation and forced marriage. It is clear that victims are not confined to one gender or ethnic group. 

Domestic Abuse can encompass, but is not limited to, the following types of abuse:

  • psychological
  • sexual
  • emotional
  • physical
  • financial
  • coercive control
  • stalking and harassment

Controlling behaviour is a range of acts designed to make a person subordinate and/or dependent by isolating them from sources of support, exploiting their resources and capacities for personal gain, depriving them of the means needed for independence, resistance and escape and regulating their everyday behaviour. 

A coercive behaviour is an act or a pattern of acts of assault, threats, humiliation and intimidation or another abuse that is used to harm, punish or frighten their victim. 

Research shows that 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men will experience Domestic Abuse at some point in their life. Domestic Abuse is much more widespread than many people realise and anyone from any background can suffer. Sometimes it is a one-off incident of violence or abuse, but more often it is a pattern of persistent abusive behaviour. 


Support in Three Rivers

Three Rivers District Council has a Domestic Abuse Caseworker (DAC) who works with standard to medium victims of domestic abuse. This service provides free support without judgement and can help people explore their options and take actions at a pace that is right for them. Residents of Three Rivers can self-refer into this service.

You can self-refer to a DAC online at Domestic Abuse or contact them on 01923 727141.


Three Rivers also has an Independent Domestic Violence Advisor (IDVA) who supports high-risk victims of Domestic Abuse living within the Three Rivers District. The IDVA works with clients who are referred from other services or self-referred to support them with personal safety, security, housing, civil remedies and criminal law. This service is independent and therefore the Police do not have to be involved. The service is free, confidential and non-judgmental.

You can self-refer to an IDVA by e-mail to or The main office can be contacted on 0300 790 6772 or the IDVA directly on 01923 727231. If they are not available please contact the central office listed above. 

You may also find some useful information and contact numbers listed below.

Clare's Law- The domestic Abuse Disclosure Scheme

If you have concerns that your partner or someone else may have an abusive history, Clare's Law is a scheme that will allow you to make enquiries through the police. This will enable you to make an informed decision about whether to continue the relationship or advise others to. This will provide signposting to further help and support.

Who can ask for a disclosure?

  • If you have a concern that your partner may harm you
  • If you are a third party who are concerned about someone who may be at risk of domestic abuse

Information will only be given to someone who is in a position to use the information to protect others from the abuse.

How to make an application:

  • Visit a police station
  • Phone 101 (non-emergency police)
  • Speak to a member of police on the street

If you believe there is an immediate risk to someone or yourself, or in an emergency call 999.

For more information or to make an application please visit:

Other sources of support  

Police support

If you have been the victim of abuse call 999 in an emergency. If it is not an emergency you can call the police on 101.

Housing support

If you are looking for emergency housing in order to escape from domestic abuse you can contact our Housing Needs Team on 01923 776611 or e-mail:  

The police have a specialist Domestic Abuse, Investigation and Safeguarding Unit (DAISU) who provide support for victims of domestic abuse.

Alternative support organisations

There are also a number of websites and helplines. A poster listing alternative support can be seen below.


See our video about consent:


Pioneering work on tech abuse featured on the BBC’s Victoria Derbyshire programme:


Below is a leaflet that has been produced to help raise awareness of the local help which is available for those experiencing Domestic Abuse. The leaflet contains a list of useful contact numbers.

Please contact the Community Safety Team for hard copies

Three Rivers Domestic Abuse Leaflet 2016 (pdf) (pdf)



Community SafetyCrime and Law Enforcement