Council Tax Reduction Scheme
The Council Tax Reduction Scheme provides financial support for people on a low income. You’ll get a discount on your bill if you’re eligible.
The amount your council tax bill can be reduced by depends on a number of circumstances, including your income and savings. Your bill could be reduced by up to 100%.
How do I qualify?
- be liable to pay council tax
- live in the property for which you’re liable to pay council tax
- be on a low income and have less than £16,000 in savings, capital or investments, unless you receive the guarantee element of pension credit.
How much will I get?
The amount of your bill can be reduced by will depend on:
- the money you and your partner have coming in, including earnings, benefits, tax credits and pensions
- you and your partner’s capital, savings and investments
- your circumstances, such as your age, the number of people in your household and the ages of your children; whether you or any of your household are disabled, or whether you are or your partner are receiving a war disability or war widows/widower’s pension.
If you’re entitled to a council tax reduction, it will be shown on your council tax bill, along with any balance you need to pay.
How do I apply?
Make a New Claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
Council Tax Benefit was abolished on 31 March 2013. It is now up to each Council to devise and administer its own scheme to help those people that cannot pay their Council Tax. This is now known as Council Tax Reduction (or Council Tax Support).
Three Rivers District Council adopted its Council Tax Reduction Scheme on 8 January 2013. The current policy includes amendments to the scheme that have been made since its introduction.
Three Rivers S13A Council Tax Reduction Scheme 2021/22 (pdf)