Council Tax & Council Tax Reduction

  • The Council Tax is a local tax set by local councils to help pay for local services.

The Council Tax, which is set by Three Rivers District Council, is calculated based on how much it and other public bodies in the area spend, and how much money is received from elsewhere.

Three Rivers District Council is responsible for the billing and collection of Council Tax, in accordance with spending requirements of:

  • Hertfordshire County Council
  • Hertfordshire County Council Adult Social Care (from 1.4.16)
  • Police and Crime Commissioner for Hertfordshire
  • Three Rivers District Council

In addition, Parish Councils also have spending requirements, which are paid for through Council Tax.

The amount paid in Council Tax is dependent on the valuation band on which each property is based. There are circumstances in which a bill can be reduced, including the following:

Current Council Tax charges can be downloaded from the Valuation and Bands page.

Go to our Online Services to view your Council Tax details, sign up for a Direct Debit or search for a Council Tax band.


Using and sharing your information

Three Rivers District Council are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.

This notice explains how and why we collect, process, store and delete any personal information we collect in undertaking our duties.

As a local authority with certain statutory duties, the council are permitted to ask for and process personal information.

Personal information asked for may include your name, date of birth, address, contact details, and bank account details.

This information may be obtained by asking you to complete a form or by submitting the information online.

The Council is the council tax collection authority in Three Rivers and the information is collected and processed as part of the council’s compliance with its statutory function. Any personal information collected will be used to enable us to carry out our statutory functions and deliver our services.

In order to undertake this function, the Council may also receive information from third parties including members of the public, the DWP, other local authorities or other public bodies.

Information collected may be shared with other Council departments and organizations that the Council contracts with who assist us in the performance of our functions and the provision of services. It may also be shared with outside organisations such as the County Council to assist them in the provision of their statutory functions or to provide a service to you or to bodies such as the Police and DWP to prevent and detect crime. It may be shared with insurance companies and bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for the prevention and detection of fraud. 

Any information obtained will be stored securely and kept for a period of time in accordance with the Councils Retention Schedule.

If you have provided personal information to the Council you have certain rights. These rights are:

  • To access personal data held about you.
  • To ask for data that is wrong to be changed
  • To object to processing (subject to whether the data is needed in order for us to undertake our statutory responsibilities)
  • To restrict processing (subject to whether the data is needed in order for us to undertake our statutory responsibilities)

To make a request to view data held about you please contact the
Council’s Data Protection Officer. Until 25 May 2018 a request will cost £10. From 25 May 2018 requests will be free unless they are manifestly unfounded, excessive or for additional copies of data already provided.

If you are unhappy about the way that the Council have handled your data you have the right to complain to: The Information Commissioner’s Office by visiting