Covid-19 - Business Support

UPDATE - 17 December 2020

Businesses required to close in England due to national restrictions may be eligible for a Local Restrictions Support Grant. These arrangements are the same for Tier 4 status as they were for Tier 3 status.

A business may be eligible if it:

  • Occupies property and pays business rates to Three Rivers District Council.
  • Has been required to close from the 5 November 2020, following the second national lockdown, and was trading up to this date.   Retrospective funding is not available before this date.
  • Has been unable to provide its usual in-person customer service from its premises.
  • Find out more and apply

Wet-led pubs can now apply for a Christmas support payment. 

  • The government has announced a one-off payment of £1,000 for pubs that are defined as wet-led pub
  • Find out more and apply


Short links

Funding support for local businesses, charities and organisations

Regulatory support and regulations for business closure

Guidance for licensed premises

Guidance for food businesses

For the latest general information for businesses, please go to the government's Business Support website

Hertfordshire County Council has detailed and useful information on its website regarding business support measures.

A joint statement from Hertfordshire County Council, Hertfordshire Local Enterprise Partnership and Hertfordshire Chamber of Commerce was published 25 March 2020 detailing their support for businesses.

HCC’s main referral point for local businesses is Hertfordshire Growth Hub, which has set up a dedicated Covid-19 Business Resource page, and its team of Growth Hub Advisers are on hand to provide one-to-one support via telephone: 01707 398168, email and Live Chat from Monday-Friday, 8.30am-5.30pm. 

Regulatory support and regulations for business closure

For guidance setting out restrictions on certain businesses and venues under the different Covid alert levels, visit the government’s Covid-19 business closure guidance page.

The Hertfordshire Trading Standards Business Support team is available to provide support to all local businesses on any regulatory matters. The Business Advice Line: 01707 281401 is open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm or email:

Where businesses are allowed to remain open, Environmental Health Officers will ensure they are complying with measures such as social distancing. Environmental Health Officers will monitor compliance with the regulations in both Watford & Three Rivers, with police support provided if appropriate. Businesses that breach regulations will be subject to enforcement action.  

If you wish to enquire about your own business premises and how it is affected by the regulations, please contact Environmental Health Officers at Watford Borough Council by emailing 

If you wish to log a complaint about a business please complete the form. 

Guidance for licensed businesses


For the latest information see the licensing page here.  Any questions or comments can be sent to:

Guidance for food businesses

Advice for businesses in response to Covid-19.