Brown Bins (Garden Waste)
Despite our best efforts and giving your bin extra shakes on the lifting equipment we have been unable to empty it as the contents were frozen. We are unable to return until the next scheduled collection. We understand you’ll be frustrated by this but can assure you there is nothing more we could have done to try and empty the bin.
During cold weather, you can take a few simple measures to reduce the risk of your bin becoming frozen:
- If you have a lot of garden waste, do not compress it into your bin.
- Fill your bin as close to collection time as possible
- Loosen the contents by sliding a spade or similar between the contents and the inside of the bin.
- Store your bin in a warmer spot, for example, in a shed or garage, or beside your house. Please remember to place it on the boundary by 6am on collection day.
Garden Waste Collection - Payment Subscription
The garden waste collection service is chargeable, meaning that only brown bins that are paid for and displaying the sticker (sent to you upon payment) will be emptied. The annual charge is £45 (reduced to £40 for payment by Direct Debit), with a reduction for certain benefits (see terms and conditions). Second and third bins are charged at £80 each.
Please click on this link to subscribe to the Garden Waste Collections Service (sign ups for 2018/19 open on 19th March 2018) . To sign up to this service online, you must have a modern browser. The self service portal does not support Internet Explorer 8,9 and 10. Example of modern browsers include Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari (Apple Users), Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11.
Please read the terms and conditions 2018/19(pdf) for further information.
What can you recycle in your brown bin?
The brown bin (chargeable), which is collected fortnightly, is for garden waste. You can have a maximum of three brown bins (all chargeable)
- Garden waste
- Real Christmas trees (next to the brown bin)
Please download more recycling information (pdf).
- NO cardboard or food should be placed in the brown bin.
- A Fixed Penalty Notice may be issued to residents that persistently and wilfully put the wrong items in their brown bin.
- The brown bin must be left at the property boundary by 6am on the day of collection.
- All residents are encourage to place their house name / number on each bin.
If your collection is missed please use this form and report it to us within 48 hours and, should we have genuinely missed it, we will return within 48 hours of being notified.
Please use the online service to enquire about your collection day.
Elderly, infirm and disabled residents who have no other resident to help them move the bin may apply for an assisted collection. The bin must still be visible at the front of the property but does not have to be moved to the boundary. To apply for this service, complete the online Application Form below.