Appeals Procedure

How do I appeal?

If you feel that your rateable value is incorrect you can appeal at any time directly to the District Valuer and Valuation Officer, on 0300 050 1501 or e-mail

You may wish to get professional help. Such grounds for appeal may be that:

  •  You think that the initial value shown in the Rating List is wrong
  •  The Valuation Officer has altered the value and you think it is wrong
  •  There has been a material change in circumstances affecting your property, e.g. part of the property has been demolished
  •  You think too much of your property is rated, e.g. part is domestic
  •  You think your property should be rated in separate parts or several properties should be rated as one
  •  There has been a decision of the Valuation Tribunal, the Lands Tribunal or the Courts which you think has a bearing on the rateable value for your property
  •  You think that there is an error in the Rating List for your property. For example, the address or description is incorrect or a change in the rateable value is shown as taking effect from the wrong date

The Valuation Officer must deal with your appeal within three months of receiving it. If the appeal has not been dealt with, or if you and the Valuation Officer cannot reach an agreement, it will be passed to the Valuation Tribunal, which is an independent body.
You should contact a reputable adviser prior to making an appeal.

What do I pay while I am waiting for my appeal to be dealt with?

You cannot withhold any payment pending the outcome of an appeal. Legally the Council must bill you based on the rateable value that the Rating List shows at the time. You are legally obliged to pay in accordance with the bill sent to you.

The Valuation Officer can backdate amendments to the rateable value. Where this results in you having paid too much we will automatically refund any overpayment you have made. In addition you are entitled to statutory interest on that overpayment. The Government sets the rate of interest payable each year.  If you do not pay as demanded, and we have to enforce payment, you could forfeit the right to receive interest on any subsequent overpayment.

What happens when my rateable value changes?

When your appeal has been dealt with, the Valuation Office will formally notify us of the amendment to be made. We cannot recalculate your liability until we receive that notification. However, under normal circumstances we will make any changes to your bill within 14 days of receiving notification from the Valuation Office.

Go to our Online Services to view your Business Rates details, sign up for a Direct Debit or search for a Business Rates Rateable Value.

Appeals Procedure