Cost of Living

Many residents are currently struggling with rising living costs. That’s why it’s important to know what help and support is available today which could benefit you or someone you know that lives within Three Rivers.

Money and Debt

Citizens Advice gives free, independent, impartial and confidential advice and information on a range of subjects, some of these are:

  • Benefits
  • Debt and Money Advice
  • Housing

Council Tax Reduction Scheme

The Council Tax Reduction Scheme is design to help those people who cannot pay their Council Tax. Three Rivers District Council adopted its Council Tax Reduction Scheme in 2013. Find out more.


Food Support in Three Rivers - Foodbanks give three days of emergency food to local people in crisis and enable communities to help each other. In Three Rivers we have the Rickmansworth Foodbank and Watford Foodbank.

You need a foodbank voucher to receive a parcel. Do not go directly to the foodbank.

Foodbank locations:

  • Mill End
  • Croxley Green
  • Abbots Langley
  • South Oxhey

Fuel and Utilities

Household Support Fund - The council has received funding from the Household Support Fund, which aims to help families and households most in need. The fund is designed to help ease financial pressures on residents by providing short-term help with food, fuel bills and other essentials to those who need it.

Money Saving Expert has up to date information on what support is offered through gas and electric companies. The website also provides tips on how to save on your gas and electricity bill.

Water Companies – Water rebates are available for some customers, check if you may be affected.

Virgin Media – Virgin Media O2 has launched its support for those hit hardest by the cost-of-living crisis with a price cut to its existing social tariff and plans to launch a new triple speed social broadband tier with an optional discounted entertainment offer.

Home Energy Support. If you are struggling with the cost of energy bills, please contact the Home Energy Support Service provided by the National Energy Foundation’s Better Housing Better Health programme. The free helpline offers independent advice on energy saving, help switching to the best value energy suppliers and tariffs, support discovering additional income through benefits and discounts, and help finding and applying to the latest grant schemes for home energy efficiency upgrades.

Accessing Internet at Home – broadband providers understand that accessing internet at home is essential and some providers have social tariffs for anyone that is claiming universal credit, pension credit and some other benefit. To see if you are eligible call your broadband provider to discuss your options.

Warm Spaces

Hertfordshire County Council, and the county’s ten district and borough councils including Three Rivers, have launched a new directory of public spaces and buildings which people can use as warm, welcoming spaces as temperatures drop.

Find a local warm space with the Warm Spaces Directory


Department for Work and Pensions - The government has announced when millions of households will receive a second Cost of Living payment. The £324 payment will be paid to eligible households receiving DWP benefits and is in addition to the first Cost of Living Payment paid to eligible households in July. 

Herts Opportunities Portal - HOP is the one stop shop for talent powered by the Hertfordshire Local Enterprise Partnership. Discover everything you need to support you in your education and employment.


Bus Passes - Older adults and some people with health conditions or impairments within certain criteria are eligible for a bus pass. This allows the user to travel 24 hours a day every day on regular bus services.

Hertfordshire SaverCard – Anyone between the ages of 11-25 years olds is entitled to travel for half the adult fare at all times on most local bus services within Hertfordshire and to certain destinations outside the county. Check here to see if you may be eligible.

School Travel - Your child may be eligible for a free school travel pass.


Housing Support - There is a range of support available within the Housing department at Three Rivers District Council. These include:

  • Housing options and advice
  • Housing Support
  • Homelessness
  • Private Housing

Support from Schools

Schools may have support available for families. Please check with the school in which your child is enrolled to find out what is available and whether you are eligible for support.

This can include support with:

Support Countywide

Hertfordshire County Council has a range of support available for residents within Hertfordshire.

Herts Help – Provides independent information and advice on local community services and care funding. Herts Help also provide information and help on:

  • Hertfordshire Crisis Intervention Service – Provides help and advice to people in crisis and facing exceptional and unexpected pressures, if you are eligible for this help Herts Help can provide with emergency loans, grants, food, clothing or furniture schemes.
  • Herts Help Community Navigators – Is a service for those who prefer in-person support. The Community Navigators provide home visits and help people find the support they need.

For more information call 0300 123 4044 or email or visit their website.

Hertfordshire County Council’s Money Advice Unit has a series of online factsheets about benefits and where to go for money advice. This includes benefits and financial advice for people affected by the cost of living. They provide a service that can run benefits checks, advice on claiming, help with form filling, and much more.

For more information visit the website or call 0800 138 7777.

National Help

The government has created a guide to explain the range of measures and support that may be of benefit including:

  • Household costs
  • Energy bills
  • Childcare costs

Please visit GOV.UK Cost of Living Support for more information.

Please note that we are aware that some of the links on the GOV.UK website refer you back to your local council. Where the GOV.UK website directs you to us, we have provided information and relevant links above.