Personal licence

Information about personal alcohol licences for individuals and how to apply

A personal alcohol licence allows individuals to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol from an establishment that holds a premises licence that permits the sale of alcohol. You can apply for a personal licence from us if you live in Three Rivers District.

The Deregulation Act 2015 removed the requirement to renew personal licences. Personal licences now carry on indefinitely, and any expiry date listed on older licences no longer applies.

To apply for a personal licence to sell alcohol, you must hold an alcohol licensing qualification, such as the Award for Personal Licence Holders. Please see the GOV.UK website for a list of all providers accredited by the Home Secretary under the Licensing Act 2003.

Apply for a personal licence (PDF)

Please send your completed application form to, along with the following documents:

You will need to pay the relevant fee when submitting your application by calling customer services at 01923 776611.

What happens next

If you satisfy all the criteria, we will issue a personal licence. If you have not heard from us within 14 days of submitting your application, do not assume your application has been successful. Instead, contact us at It is an offence to carry out unlicensed activities, and you can be given a fine and imprisoned for up to six months.

If your application is unsuccessful, you can appeal to a magistrates’ court within 21 days of the decision.

Change the name and address on a personal licence

You must notify us as soon as possible of any change to the name or address stated on your personal licence. It is an offence to fail to comply with this duty.

Change the name or address on a personal licence (PDF)

Send your completed application form to and call customer services on 01923 776611 to pay the relevant fee. You will also need to return your paper and card personal licence to:

Licensing Team
Three Rivers House

Once we have processed your application, we will send you your updated licence.

Keeping your licence

You must keep your licence in a safe place, as you will need to be able to produce it for examination if requested by a constable or authorised officer. Failure to comply with this duty is an offence.

Replacing a lost, damaged personal licence/licence card

If your personal licence is lost, damaged, stolen or destroyed, you will need to apply for a replacement.

Request a replacement personal licence (PDF)

Send your completed application form to and call customer services on 01923 776611 to pay the relevant fee.

Offences and convictions

If you are charged with a relevant offence, you must inform the court that you are a personal licence holder. If you are subsequently convicted, you must tell us and return your personal licence so that your conviction details can be added to it.