In this section
Domestic abuse, also called intimate partner violence, is an incident or pattern of incidents in a relationship that involves coercive, threatening, controlling or degrading behaviour.
Everyone should have the right to live without violence and fear. If you are experiencing abuse within your relationship, please seek help from the organisations on this page. You can also contact our housing team if you are suffering from domestic abuse and need to leave your home in an emergency.
Report domestic abuse
If you or someone you know is being abused, you can tell the police by calling 101 or report the abuse on the Met Police website. If it is an emergency, call 999.
If you have a speech or heading impediment, you can use the police textphone service 18000.
If you are in danger and need the police but cannot speak, you can use the Silent Solution system:
- dial 999 from a mobile
- listen to the operator’s questions
- respond by coughing or tapping the keys on your phone
- if prompted, press 55
This tells the 999 operator that the call is a genuine emergency, and they will put you through to the police. The police will then ask you a series of yes/no questions to help assess your situation.
Support for domestic abuse victims
- the Herts Domestic Abuse Helpline is a free and confidential helpline that can signpost you to available support. Call 0808 808 8088 from 9am to 9am Monday to Friday and 9am to 4pm on weekends.
- the Herts Mind Network: Domestic Abuse service is a confidential individual service for anyone affected by domestic abuse
- the Independent Domestic Violence Advisor (IDVA) is a free support service for high-risk victims of domestic abuse
- Watford Women's Centre provides domestic abuse support for women, career advice, education and skills development
- SaferPlaces provides a range of services to men, women and children affected by domestic and sexual abuse and stalking
- JKC operates a 24-hour Domestic Abuse confidential legal helpline - 0203 9355 999
- Beacon is a Hertfordshire-based charity providing support and services to victims of all types of crime
- the National Centre for Domestic Violence offers a free, fast emergency injunction service to survivors of domestic abuse
- Women’s Aid is a national charity that supports women going through domestic violence and abuse with a live chat, email support and forums
- Victim Support is an independent charity that helps people access the support they need if they have been affected by a crime
- Mankind provides support for male victims of domestic abuse - 01823 334 244
Support for victims of sexual abuse, stalking and harassment
- the Sexual Assault Referral Centre provides individual support to people who have been sexually assaulted or raped
- the National Stalking Helpline offers information, support and advice to people experiencing stalking or harassment
- the Independent Stalking Advocacy Caseworker provides one-to-one advice and advocacy to victims of stalking
- Karma Nirvana supports women experiencing honour-based abuse or forced marriage
Support for people exhibiting harmful behavious
The Chrysalis Centre supports people looking to change their harmful behaviour.
- Action on Elder Abuse is a national charity working to end the harm, abuse and exploitation of older people
- SignHealth is a specialist domestic abuse service for the Deaf. Text 88802 with the message: 121SIGN
- Male Advice Line provides advice and support for male victims of domestic abuse
- Mankind offers a confidential helpline for male victims of domestic abuse, emotional support and practical information
- Galop is a national LGBTQ+ helpline for domestic abuse and sexual violence
If you need emergency housing to escape from domestic abuse, contact our Housing Needs Team or call us on 01923 776611.