Community Infrastructure Levy

Check whether your development is liable for CIL charges and download the relevant forms

In this section

The Community Infrastructure Levy

The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) is a charge which allows the Council to raise funds from new developments for use on infrastructure to support the growth in the district. It came into force on 6 April 2010 through the Community Infrastructure Levy Regulations 2010 (as amended). The money collected from the levy will be used to support development by funding infrastructure that the Council local community and neighbourhood need. 

CIL costs

The levy applies to most new buildings and development over 100 square metres in size. Charges vary depending on the size, type and location of the new development and are set out in the Charging Schedule (PDF). Please note that CIL charges are updated each year to take account of inflation. View the rates for 2024 and a yearly rate summary since 2016 (PDF).

Our Instalments Policy (PDF) applies to all liable CIL applications and explains when payments will need to be made across the timeframe of a development.

The Regulation 123 List (PDF) was adopted in 2015. It has since been superseded by the infrastructure funding list, which can be viewed on our CIL reports page.

A development will be liable to pay CIL if:

  • it is a building into which people normally go
  • it is creating 1 or more new dwellings, or an annex, even where the floorspace is less that 100 square metres
  • if it involves the change of use of a building that has been unused for a period of time, it may be liable
  • it is of a type of location for which a rate is set in the Charging Schedule (PDF)

You may also be liable for CIL charges if your development involves changing the use of a building that has been unused for a period of time. For more information on whether CIL charges apply to a development see our CIL FAQs page.

A development may be exempt from CIL if it:

  • is less than 100 square metres (unless it is a new dwelling or annex)
  • is eligible for self-build exemption, and the relevant claim form has been submitted and acknowledged
  • is for a structure or building that people do not usually enter (for example, pylons and wind turbines) or enter only briefly for maintenance (for example, plant rooms)
  • involves a change of use with no additional floorspace and the former use has been lawful and in continuous use for at least six months in the past three years ending on the day the planning permission first permits the development
  • involves a change of use from a single dwelling to two or more separate dwellings with no additional floorspace
  • is for affordable housing, charitable purposes or self-build housing (please note: if your proposed development is for any of these purposes, you will need to apply for CIL relief)