Pavement licensing and street trading consent

Apply for a licence to place tables and chairs outside a restaurant or cafe or trade on the street

In this section

Pavement licence

You need a licence to place removable furniture outside a cafe or restaurant on a public road or highway, including:

  • counters or stalls for selling or serving food or drink
  • tables, counters or shelves on which food or drink can be placed
  • chairs, benches or other forms of seating
  • umbrellas, barriers, heaters and other articles used in connection with the outdoor consumption of food or drink

The government introduced the pavement licence in July 2020 to help businesses provide outdoor refreshments during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

All existing and new temporary pavement licences granted will expire on 30 September 2024 unless renewed before this date. The government is planning new legislation to make the pavement licence a permanent scheme, but this is yet to become law. 

Apply for a temporary pavement licence

Apply for a temporary pavement licence

You will need to provide the following documents with your application:

  • your public liability insurance certificate (minimum of £5 million)
  • details of the location and site plans
  • a copy of any required planning permissions and any licences required under the Licensing Act 2003.

After you have applied for a licence, you must display a site notice (PDF) advertising the application outside the premises for seven days. Your application will be sent to the responsible authorities for consultation. We will notify you of the outcome of your application within 14 days.