Gaming machine permits

Check whether you need a permit to offer gaming machines on your premises

In this section

Club gaming permit

Members’ clubs and miners’ welfare institutes (but not commercial clubs) can apply for a club gaming permit to offer:

  • up to three gaming machines from categories B4, C, D and B3A (though only one machine can be in category B3A)
  • equal chance gaming, such as poker and bingo
  • games of chance (pontoon and chemin de fer only)

For the gaming restrictions associated with club gaming permits, see the Gambling Commission’s website.

Clubs offering equal change gaming must comply with the Gambling Commission’s code of practice for equal chance gaming in clubs and premises with an alcohol licence and clubs offering gaming machines with the code of practice for gaming machines in clubs and premises with an alcohol licence.

Apply for a club gaming permit

Please complete and return your completed application to You will need to pay the relevant fee when submitting your application by calling customer services on 01923 776611.

You must also send copies of your application to the Gambling Commission and Hertfordshire Constabulary, within seven days of making the application.

If you have not heard from us within 30 days of your application, do not assume your application has been successful. Instead, contact us at It is a criminal offence to carry out unlicensed activities, with a maximum penalty of imprisonment.

If your application is successful, your permit will be granted. Permits are valid for 10 years (except for fast-track permits) and must be kept on the premises at all times. You will need to renew your permit six to 12 weeks before it expires.
You are also required to pay an annual fee to maintain the permit.

If your application is unsuccessful, you may appeal to a magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision.