Annual Council - 21 May 2019
To: ALL MEMBERS OF THE THREE RIVERS DISTRICT COUNCIL
You are hereby summoned to attend the Annual Meeting of the Council to be held in the Main Auditorium, Watersmeet, High Street, Rickmansworth on Tuesday 21 May 2019 at 7.30pm for the purpose of transacting the under mentioned business:-
1. ELECTION OF CHAIR OF THE COUNCIL
To elect the Chair of the Council for the Local Government Year 2019/2020 in accordance with the procedure agreed by Council on 8 March 1998 (Minute 229/88) and 19 April 1988 (Minute No 398/88) and on the point’s scheme.-01-19-05-21-cl-i-election-of-chair
2. CHAIR ELECT
The Chair Elect to make the Declaration of Acceptance of Office, to acknowledge the honour conferred and to receive the Chain of Office from the retiring Chair. (Photograph to be taken)
The Chair’s Consort to receive the Consort’s Badge from the retiring Chair’s Consort. (Photograph to be taken)
3. VOTE OF THANKS TO RETIRING CHAIR
The retiring Chair to reply and to receive a Scroll from the Chair thanking the retiring Chair and their Term of Office. The new Chair to take the Chair of Council. (Retiring Chair to take the Vice-Chair’s Seat and to move to the audience after their reply).
4. APPOINTMENT OF VICE-CHAIR OF THE COUNCIL
To elect the Vice-Chair of the Council for the Local Government Year 2019/2020. (Photograph to be taken)
5. VICE-CHAIRMAN ELECT
The Vice-Chair Elect to make the Declaration of Acceptance of Office, to acknowledge the honour conferred and to receive the Chain of Office from the Chair.
The Vice-Chair’s Consort to receive the Consort’s Badge from the Chair’s Consort. (Photograph to be taken)
6. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
7. ELECTION RETURN
The Returning Officer to report the results of the District Council Elections held in the District on 2 May 2019 and to confirm that all Councillors have signed the Declaration of Office.-07-19-05-21-cl-i-summary-of-election-results-2-may-2019
8. RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE POLICY AND RESOURCES COMMITTEE 11 March 2019
Minute PR68/18 Strategic Plan 2019-22 and Service Plans 2019-22 (Committee, Legal, Corporate Services, Customer Services Centre, Finance, Revenue and Benefits, Elections, Major Projects and Property)-08-19-05-21-p-r-committee-recommendations-08-19-05-21-cl-strategic-plan_2019-22_finalcommittee-service-plan-19-22-final-2legal-practice-service-plan_2019-22-finalcorporate-services-service-plan-2019-22-3csc-service-plan-2019-22_final-1finance-service-plan-2019-22-2revs-and-bens-service-plan-2019_22-final-1elections-service-plan_final_-2019-22-2property-major-projects-service-plan-2019-22_final
Minute PR69/18 Budget Monitoring – Month 10 (January)-08-19-03-11-pr-budget-management-report-period-10-final-1.pdf (pdf)-08-19-03-11-pr-budget-report-period-10-cover-report-final-1.pdf (pdf)
9. RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE SERVICE COMMITTEES
To receive the recommendations from the Infrastructure, Housing and Economic Development Committee and Leisure, Community and Environmental Services
To agree the following Service Plans:
Economic Development and Sustainability, Housing, Regulatory Services,
IHED 47/18 service planning 2019/2022
The Chairman asked Members of the Committee to consider the following service plans:
- Economic and Sustainable Development
- Regulatory Services
- Housing Services
That the Service Plans be recommended to Council for approval.economic-sustainable-development-service-plan-2019-22-finalhousing-service-plan-2019-22_finalregulatory-service-plan-final-2019-22
Leisure and Landscape, Environmental Protection and Community Partnerships
LEC 57/18 SERVICE PLANNING 2019/2022
That the Committee considered the following service plans:
- Environmental Protection
- Leisure and Landscapes
- Regulatory Services (Please note only the unshaded areas of Performance Indicators)
- Community Partnerships
That the Committee considers the Environmental Protection Service Plan, Leisure and Landscapes Service Plan and Regulatory Services Service Plan and Community Partnerships Service Plan and recommends their content to Council at its meeting on 21 May 2018.
RECOMMENDED:leisure-and-landscapes-service-plan-2019-22-final-1.pdf (pdf)environmental-protection-service-plan-2019-22-finaldoc-1.pdf (pdf)community-partnerships-service-plan-2019-22-final-1.pdf (pdf)
10. ENVIRONMENTAL ENFORCEMENT
To increase the Fixed Penalty Notice level for Graffiti and Fly-tipping-11-19-05-21-cl-i-graffiti-and-fly-posting-report-11-19-05-21-cl-i-enforcement-report-final-11-19-05-21-cl-i-trdc-ep-enforcement-policy_2018
11. MEMBER ALLOWANCES – 2019/20
To correct Minute CL58/18 to show the correct Local Government Year 2019/20 (as agreed) to read as follows:
The Members’ basic allowance has therefore increased from 1 April 2019 to £4,862 per annum plus £100 IT consumables allowance making a total of allowance of £4,962
The Special Responsibility Allowances to be as follows:
Leader of the Council £8,967
Lead Members (x7) £4,862 (1 x basic rate)
Chair of Planning Committee £4,862 (1 x basic rate)
Chair of Licensing Committee &
Regulatory Services Committee £2,431 (half of basic rate)
Chair of Audit Committee £2,431 (half of basic rate)
Other Group Leaders:
Main Opposition Leader £3,766
Other Opposition Leader £1,390
Travel Allowance 52.2p per mile
Dependent and Carer Allowance £12.50 per hour
12. THREE RIVERS DISTRICT COUNCIL HEALTH AND SAFETY POLICY STATEMENT-12-19-05-21-cl-i-hs-policy_statement-revised-april-2019
13. AMENDMENTS TO THE LEADER AND LEAD MEMBER ROLES
To view the current role details Members are referred to Part 2 of the Council Constitution - Articles of the Council Constitution which can be viewed on the Council Constitution webpage at:
To confirm as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting of the Council held on 26 February 2019.19-02-26-cl-minutes-draft
15. CHAIRMAN’S ANNOUNCEMENTS
16. APPOINTMENT OF THE LEADER OF THE COUNCIL
17. APPOINTMENT OF DEPUTY LEADER OF THE COUNCIL
18. APPOINTMENT OF LEAD MEMBERS
To appoint the Lead Members for:
Resources and Shared Services (Policy and Resources)
Economic Development (Infrastructure, Housing and Economic Development)
Infrastructure and Planning Policy (Infrastructure, Housing and Economic Development)
Housing (Infrastructure, Housing and Economic Development)
Leisure (Leisure, Environment and Community)
Environmental Services (Leisure, Environment and Community)
Community Safety and Partnerships (Leisure, Environment and Community)
The Chairmanship of the two Service Committees will be split between the three Lead Members who will be preside at two meetings of the Service Committees each year with the other two acting as his/her Vice-Chair when not in the Chair.
In accordance with the Council Constitution these Members are appointed to the Policy and Resources Committee (see item 19a)
19. APPOINTMENT OF POLICY AND RESOURCES, PLANNING, REGULATORY SERVICES, LICENSING, INFRASTRUCTURE, HOUSING AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, LEISURE, ENVIRONMENT AND COMMUNITY, AUDIT, COUNCIL TAX SETTING COMMITTEES
19.a To appoint to the Policy and Resources Committee
To appoint Members to serve on the Policy and Resources Committee in accordance with the Council Constitution to include the Leader of the Council and the 7 Lead Members as appointed in Items 16, 17 and 18.
19b To appoint Members to the Planning, Regulatory Services, Licensing, Infrastructure, Housing and Economic Development, Leisure, Environment and Community, Audit and Council Tax Setting Committees-19b-19-05-21-cl-i-appt-of-committees
19c To appoint substitute Members:
All Members to act as substitutes on the Council Committees excluding the Licensing Committee.
To appoint named substitute members to the Planning Committee (3 Members per Political Group) in accordance with the Terms of the Reference of the Committee.
20. APPOINTMENT OF CHAIRS AND VICE-CHAIRS
In accordance with Procedure Rule 29, to appoint the Chair and Vice-Chair of the Planning, Regulatory Services, Licensing, Audit and Council Tax Setting Committees.
21. STANDARDS REGIME
Members’ Panel to deal with Code of Conduct Complaints
To reconstitute this Panel to deal with Code of Conduct Complaints against District and Parish Councillors under the stages agreed at the Executive Committee on 2 April 2012 (Minute EX104/11).
The Panel will consist of Group Leaders (or their nominees).
22. APPOINTMENTS COMMITTEE
To establish the Appointments Committee with terms of reference as set out in Part 3 of the Constitution and appoint 7 Members to serve thereon. The Committee is subject to the Rules governing proportionality.
23. APPOINTMENT OF OTHER COUNCIL BODIES-23-19-05-21-cl-i-appt-of-other-council-bodies
24. APPOINTMENT OF THE CHAIRS AND VICE-CHAIRS FOR EACH OF THE LOCAL AREA FORUMS-24-19-05-21cl-i-appt-of-laf-chair-vice-chair
25. APPOINTMENTS TO OUTSIDE BODIES-25-19-05-21-cl-i-outside-bodies-revised
26. INDEPENDENT PANEL ON MEMBERS’ ALLOWANCES
27. PENSIONERS CHAMPION
28. YOUNG PERSONS’ CHAMPION
29. MEMBER TRAINING CHAMPION
30. MOTIONS UNDER PROCEDURE RULE 11
Councillors Sara Bedford, Stephen Giles-Medhurst, Chris Lloyd, Alex Michaels, Sarah Nelmes, Andrew Scarth and Dom Sokalski to move under notice duly given as follows:
- The overwhelming weight of scientific evidence pointing to man-made climate change.
- The harmful effect that such climate change is having on our lives, natural habitats and eco-systems.
- The proud record of Three Rivers District Council on environmental issues.
Council therefore agrees to:
- Declare a Climate Emergency.
- Produce a strategy and action plan to make Three Rivers carbon neutral by 2030.
- Use all practical means to reduce the impact of Council services on the environment.
- Use all planning regulations and the Local Plan to cut carbon emissions and reduce the impact on the environment.
- Work with partners in the public and private sector and implement best practice.
- Engage with local residents and businesses to gain their support.
- Request Central Government to provide the support and resources needed to progress the action plan.
Council therefore requests that details of the strategy and action plan be brought to Policy & Resources committee by the end of 2019.
13 MAY 2019