Parking management in Three Rivers District

How does Three Rivers District Council help people to find car parking locally?

Three Rivers District Council provides over 40 public car parks around the District with over 500 short-stay spaces and over 200 long-stay spaces. The Council enforces parking controls on public roads and acts as an agent for Hertfordshire County Council (which is the Highways and Traffic Authority), to manage the introduction of new parking controls in its area.

New parking scheme requests

If you would like to request new parking controls such as permit bays and yellow lines to promote parking for local residents and businesses, please contact the District Council in writing or email to explain the problem and what, if anything, you want to request. You will need to provide your name and address to validate your request.

Requests for new parking control schemes are prioritised and addressed through the annual Parking Management work programme. This programme is set annually and overseen by the Infrastructure, Housing and Economic Development Committee.

New parking control schemes can only be progressed following public consultation. Most schemes are developed through several stages of consultation with people at local addresses, important stakeholders such as the Police, Parish Councils, Residents Associations and Hertfordshire County Council. Please follow this link to find out about current public consultations on parking schemes.

The District Council has a specific role in creating Controlled Parking Zones (permit parking), which is detailed below. You can find more details of how permit parking works in our Permit Parking Measures - Frequent Questions.

Other local road improvements by the Local Highway Authority, Hertfordshire County Council

Hertfordshire County Council is the Local Highway and Traffic Authority and is responsible for maintaining and managing most aspects of public roads.
The District Council cannot introduce measures specifically to address road safety or to improve traffic flow, which are the responsibility of the County Council. Any parking restrictions promoted by the District Council will always improve safety and traffic flow, but our schemes are not intended to address them. 

What is a 'Controlled Parking Zones' or 'Permit parking area'.

A Controlled Parking Zone (or 'CPZ') is also known as a Permit Parking Area. It is an area where parking controls are introduced to prioritise the parking needs of residents, their visitors and local businesses. Residents and other road users with a legitimate need to park on roads in the zone have the option to purchase permits, if they want park on public road at times when the CPZ is in force.

Parking on every public road in a Zone is controlled at certain times, typically using a mixture of yellow lines and parking bays.

Permits are also available to people who need to visit local addresses, including doctors, health visitors, or services such as builders or other trades firms). Short-stay parking bays are provided to allow people to visit shops and other local facilities.

The District Council will always try to maximise the number of parking bays on public roads when introducing a Zone, by placing bays wherever it is safe and legal to do so. Bays cannot be marked where parking would cause a risk or where parking would usually be illegal - for example, near junctions

How do Parking Zones work?

Parking Zones operate at different times depending on local parking pressures. Some Zones operate all day (such as those in central Rickmansworth). Others only operate for an hour, to encourage all-day commuters to use long-stay car parks. Details of each Zone are agreed when each one is introduced, following detailed local consultation.

What does a Parking Zone look like?

Controlled Parking Zones are shown by large street signs on both sides of the road at the entrance to each Zone, which reduces the clutter of new signs on every line and parking bay.  While parking bays and yellow lines can be used outside of a CPZ, the purpose of a Zone is described in the legislation to be an area where it is not necessary to place a sign on every line for it to be enforceable, to reduce sign clutter.

The signs will tell you:

  • What Zone you are in
  • The hours when parking is restricted
  • When waiting (parking) is not allowed on single yellow lines

You will see that:

  • The whole length of streets in the Zone are subject to parking controls during specific operational hours (for example, from 8am to 6.30pm Monday to Saturday)
  • Parking bays are marked out for the use of permit holders, pay and display parking or other parking needs (typically short-stay parking bays, loading bays or taxi ranks).
  • Single yellow lines show where you cannot park during the times when the Zone is in force
  • Zones may have different operational hours when they are in force and may have different time restrictions for different parts of the Zone. 

More detailed information

You can find more details of how permit parking works in our Permit Parking Measures - Frequent Questions.

If you have any questions please contact the District Council at