Housing Benefit

Apply for Housing Benefit and other financial support

Apply for Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit helps people on low incomes meet the cost of their rent.

Housing Benefit is means-tested, so the amount you can receive varies depending on factors such as your income, savings, the people you are responsible for in your household and whether you are disabled or a carer.

If you already receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, you can register for an account to view your payments.

Who can claim

You can only claim for Housing Benefit if either of the following apply:

  • you are a state pensioner
  • you are living in supported, sheltered or temporary housing

If you do not meet either of these criteria, you may be able to claim Universal Credit to help you meet the cost of your rent.

Who cannot claim

You will usually not be able to claim Housing Benefit if you:

  • have savings over £16,000 – unless you receive Guarantee Credit or Pension Credit
  • live in the home of a close relative
  • are a full-time student
  • are an asylum seeker or sponsored to be in the UK
  • are a full-time student (unless you have children who are dependent on you in your household or you are entitled to certain disability benefits).


Use the benefits calculator to work out what benefits you might be eligible for.

Local Housing Allowance

If you rent your home from a private landlord, your housing benefit will be worked out using the Local Housing Allowance (LHA). This is the maximum Housing Benefit you could receive dependant on the make up and size of your household. Check the Local Housing Allowance in your area.

Apply for Housing Benefit

You may also be able to apply for Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) if you need extra help to pay your rent on top of your Housing Benefit. We will look at your circumstances to work out whether you are entitled to a DHP and tell you how much you will be paid and how long you will receive payments.

Find out more about Discretionary Housing Payments