Disabled Facilities Grants

Disables Facilities Grants (DFGs) are available to help make home improvements and repairs so you can live independently your home.

Disables Facilities Grants (DFGs) are available to help make home improvements and repairs so you can live independently your home. These grants can be used to help pay towards the cost of adapting your home, such as:

  • putting in a ramp of half steps to improve access to your home
  • adding a hoist or stairlift to make your home more accessible
  • installing an adapted bathroom and toilet


You can apply for a DFG grant if:

  • you or someone living in your property is disabled
  • you or the person you are applying on behalf of owns the property or is a tenant and plans to live at the property for the five-year grant period
  • the requested adaptation is necessary and appropriate to meet your needs
  • the requested adaptation is reasonable and appropriate for the home environment

You must apply for a DFG before you start work on your property. DFGs cannot be awarded for works that are currently in progress or already complete.

How much can I receive?

Grants of up to £30,000 are available. When you apply for a grant, a financial assessment will be conducted to help determine your grant amount. You may need to pay part of the costs of adapting your home.

How to apply

The DFG application process differs depending on whether the adaptations required are for an adult or a child.

If the grant application is for an adult, apply via Hertfordshire County Council adult social services.

If the grant application is for a child, apply via Hertfordshire County Council children's social services.

The application process

The application process for a DFG is currently overseen by The Building Control (Hertfordshire) Company.

After you apply for a DFG, you will be assessed by an occupational therapist. The occupational therapist will visit your home to determine what equipment and adaptations are required to meet your needs.

We will then consider whether the adaptations put forward by the occupational therapist are practical for your property's age, layout and condition. If your property is suitable for the proposed changes, the works will be carried out. If your property is unsuitable, we will help you look at alternative solutions, including moving home.

If you are a tenant, you will need to provide formal permission from your landlord to make the proposed adaptations.

After the agreed work has been completed, it will be inspected and signed off by Building Control.


You may have to repay the grant if it is over £5,000 and you move or sell your home, or it is no longer your main place of residence, within 10 years of the works being completed.