How Council Tax is spent

Your Council Tax helps to fund many different local services, like schools, the police and waste collections.

The council not only delivers valuable services for the district and its residents, but it is also responsible for grassland management, parks, and delivers projects that celebrate the district’s diverse communities. Click the button below to find out just some of the interesting facts and figures about the services the council delivers.

Your Three Rivers - what your council does for you

Your council tax bill is made up of four elements. Your council tax which is collected by Three Rivers District Council pays for the services you receive from

  • Your parish/community council
  • Three Rivers District Council
  • Police and Crime Commissioner
  • Hertfordshire County Council

These are known as the precepting authorities. The charge for Hertfordshire County Council also includes a levy for: Environmental Agency and Lee Valley Regional Park Authority.  Full information about how the  County Council's element of Council Tax is spent can be found on Hertfordshire County Council website.

Listed below are the parish/community councils within the Three Rivers District Council area:

  • Abbots Langley
  • Batchworth
  • Chorleywood
  • Croxley Green
  • Sarratt
  • Watford Rural
  • Unparished 

The document below sets out the breakdown of your Council Tax Bill.  The ‘Parish Council Precept’ and ‘Parish Special Expenses’ have been added together on the Council Tax Bills from 2022/23 onwards.  Prior to that, the ‘Parish Special Expenses’ figure was included within the Three Rivers charge.

Council tax charges 2024/2025

Council Tax Charges 2024/2025 (PDF)

Council tax charges 2023/2024

Council Tax Charges - 2023/24 (PDF)

The report to Council on Special Expenses can be downloaded below.

Special Expenses Report - 2023/24 (PDF)

Further information

Contact us about council tax

Go to our online services to view your council tax details, sign up for a direct debit or search for a council tax band.