Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)
If you need extra help to pay your rent, you could get some financial support. These are called Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP).
DHPs can support you with
- if you're unable to cover all your rent
- upfront costs - like deposit
Eligibility for DHPs
You can only claim a DHP if you are currently in receipt of Housing Benefit or housing costs through your Universal Credit award.
DHPs are a discretionary payment, so each application depends on your individual circumstances.
We will support you where we can.
You could get support if your Housing Benefit is:
- reduced because of the bedroom tax
- reduced because of the Benefit Cap
- not covering all of your rent
- reduced because of deductions we have made because other adults are living with you (non-dependent deductions)
- or Housing Cost under Universal Credit does not cover all of your rent
Discretionary payments can't be awarded if you need support for the following:
- when your rent has been increased to cover rent arrears
- payment of non-rent charges, like ground rent, service or water charges
- Housing Benefit that has been reduced because of a sanction, or suspended
- covering any shortfall in your Housing Benefit if you have enough money to pay this.