Your Responsibilities and Council Responsibilities


Your Responsibilities  

You are responsible for your waste. You are required to adhere to the following storage and presentation conditions:

Bins (marked with Three Rivers District Council) should only contain acceptable items. If in doubt check

Present your bins on the boundary of your property by 6am. Ensure they are clearly visible, can be reached from the highway and do not cause an obstruction.

After emptying, you are required to keep them within the boundary of your property.

No excess waste will be collected and your bin will not be emptied if it is overfilled i.e the lid must be closed. Construction waste (including brick rubble, concrete, plaster and treated wood), electrical items (including, batteries, kettles, TV and white goods), large household items (including sofa’s, beds and wardrobes) cannot be placed out for collection. These can be disposed of at the Household Waste Recycling Centres or the special collection service (01923 776611)

Commercial Waste (as defined by The Controlled Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2012) must not be placed in any receptacle(s) (bin(s)

If your bin is missed, notify us within 48 hours, although the sooner the better.

Council Responsibilities 

We have a duty to collect household waste. Part of this duty involves setting standards for residents to understand how waste must be stored and presented for collection. These responsibilities are outlined opposite.

No requirement is imposed on you to provide any waste receptacles. If you require a replacement wheeled bin or a recycling receptacle or should you have any queries regarding this notice please telephone Three Rivers District Council on 01923 776611.

The council’s requirements under Section 46 of The Environmental Protection Act 1990 Three Rivers District Council requires you to present household waste for collection as specified in this notice. If you are not currently following these conditions, please do so to avoid further action by us. The Clean Neighbourhood Act (2005) and Environmental Protection Act (1990) give the council authority to issue Fixed Penalty Notices (FPN) of up to £60 to properties which fail to comply with these conditions. Or if it went to court a fine could be imposed.

Three Rivers District Council s a collection authority. It is Hertfordshire County Council who is the disposal authority, and responsible for disposing of the waste collected by this authority.