This section includes:
Victim Support Charity
Victim Support is the national charity which helps people affected by crime. They provide free and confidential support to help you deal with your experience, whether or not you report the crime. For more information, visit the Victim Support website.
The Hertfordshire Victim Care Centre, called Beacon, provides an innovative new arrangement with Victim Support working directly alongside the Constabulary’s Victim Service Team.
Operating out of a single hub, the new service will provide provision for victims of crime, with vulnerable or repeat victims being identified early on for an enhanced care package. The new ‘one-stop-shop’ offers a range of services under one roof, from simple practical help through to information about their crime investigation or emotional support.
Importantly, this service will be available free to all victims of crime, including those who have decided not to report the matter to police, or who have changed their mind about needing support and choose to make contact in the weeks or months after the incident.
Visit the Beacon website at www.hertfordshirebeacon.org or call the hotline 0300 011 55 55 which will be open daily from 7am to 10pm for victims to contact the centre direct. Victims who report crimes committed against them to the police are automatically contacted by the centre. Victims of fraud in the county should continue to report their crime to Action Fraud at www.actionfraud.police.uk or on 0300 123 2040 however they too can access support services by contacting Beacon direct.
Domestic Abuse - Alternative support organisations
For more information on Domestic Abuse, please visit www.threerivers.gov.uk/egcl-page/domestic-abuse
There are also a number of websites and helplines available:
- Hertfordshire IDVA Service 01707 638420
- Herts Sunflower Information and advice for people suffering domestic abuse, their family and friends, and professionals.
- Hertfordshire Domestic Violence/Abuse Helpline 0808 808 8088 (Monday to Friday 10am - 10pm)
- Watford Women's Centre 01923 816229
- Women's Aid 0808 200 0247 (24 hours)
- Action on Elder Abuse 0808 808 8141
- Broken Rainbow Support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. 0800 999 5428
- DeafHope is a specialist Domestic Abuse service for the Deaf. 0208 772 3241 or Text/SMS 07970350366
- Victim Support 0845 456 5995
- Sexual Assault Referral Centre 0808 178 4448
- National Centre for Domestic Violence 24hr emergency legal advice. 0800 970 2070
- Male Advice Line 0808 801 0327
Hate Crime support
For more information on Hate Crime, please visit our Hate Crime page.
- Support is available for the LGBT*Q community throughwww.stonewall.org.uk. An additional support group for the Transgender community is the Beaumont Society, accessible through www.beaumontsociety.org.uk.
- Tell MAMA is a national project that monitors anti Muslim attacks and can provide support to victims of Islamophobia hate crime. www.tellmamauk.org
- Community Security Trust (CST) is a charity that aims to protect British Jews from anti-Semitic threats. They have a team that provide support specifically for hate crime. www.cst.org.uk.
- A monthly drop in one-stop shop takes place at Holyrood Catholic Church for the Polish Community. Part of the service offered is support for victims of Hate Crime.
- Disability Watford is a Watford and Three Rivers based information and support group for people with disability. This can be accessed via www.disabilitywatford.org.uk