Reduce, Re-use, Recycle, Recover
- Shop smartly and try not to buy produces that have too much packaging. For example buy loose fruit and vegetables.
- Purchase 'bags for life' and use these each time you go shopping.
- Avoid disposable or single-use items such as napkins, razors, plastic cutlery, cameras and batteries etc
- Use boxes with lids to store things, rather than using foil or cling film.
- Visit the Mailing Preference Service to reduce your junk mail .
- To opt out of receiving the BT phone book call 0800 833 400 and to opt out of the Yellow Pages ring 0800 671 444.
Love Food Hate Waste
The Love Food Hate Waste campaign aims to raise awareness of the need to reduce food waste. The campaign shows that by doing some easy practical everyday things in the home we can all waste less food, which will ultimately benefit our purses and the environment too.
- Buy rechargeable batteries
- Take unwanted furniture, that is in good condition, to a furniture reuse scheme. For example 9 Lives Furniture in Rickmansworth.
- Take unwanted clothes and toys to charity shops
- Visit Freecycle a networking group to help keep usable items out of landfill
- Find your nearest charity shop
Please Recycle Right!
Recycling Right really does make a difference. It enables us to collect good, clean recycling that can be turned into something new.
Keep it clean and empty. Food or liquid left on recycling will make paper and cardboard soggy,
If you aren't sure about if something can be recycled or not please check or if you really aren't sure leave it out.
For more information visit Recycle Right
Hertfordshire as a whole is currently looking at ways to dispose of waste in future. Visit WasteAware
RecyclingRubbish, Waste and Recycling