Search

Full Council - 17 October 2006

Penn Chamber, Three Rivers House16th October 2006

To: ALL MEMBERS OF THE THREE RIVERS DISTRICT COUNCIL

You are hereby summoned to attend an ordinary meeting of the Council to be held in the Penn Chamber, Three Rivers House, Rickmansworth, on Tuesday, 17 October 2006 at 7.30pm for the purpose of transacting the under-mentioned business:-


A G E N D A


1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE


2. MINUTES


To confirm as a correct record the Minutes of the Council meeting held on 18 July 2006, copies attached

downloadable document icon06 07 18 CL mins. DOWNLOAD


3. CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS


4. LEADER'S REPORT


5. REPORTS AND QUESTIONS TO THE CABINET AND CHAIRMEN OF THE POLICY AND SCRUTINY PANELS AND AUDIT, DEVELOPMENT CONTROL, LICENSING AND REGULATORY SERVICES COMMITTEES


HOUSING AND ENVIRONMENT


(i) Report from the Cabinet Member for Housing.

(ii) Questions to the Cabinet Member for Housing.

(iii) Report from the Cabinet Member for Environment.

(iv) Questions to the Cabinet Member for Environment.

(v) Report from the Housing and Environment Policy Panel Chairman.

(vi) Questions to the Housing and Environment Policy Panel Chairman.


LEISURE AND COMMUNITY


(i) Report from the Cabinet Member for Leisure and Community.

(ii) Questions to the Cabinet Member for Leisure and Community.

(iii) Report from the Cabinet Member for Community Safety.

(iv) Questions to the Cabinet Member for Community Safety

(v) Report from the Leisure and Community Policy Panel Chairman.

(vi) Questions to the Leisure and Community Policy Panel Chairman.


PUBLIC SERVICES AND HEALTH


(i) Report from the Cabinet Member for Public Services and Health.

(ii) Questions to the Cabinet Member for Public Services and Health.

(iii) Report from the Public Services and Health Policy Panel Chairman.

(iv) Questions to the Public Services and Health Policy Panel Chairman.


RESOURCES


(i) Report from the Cabinet Member for Resources.

Questions to the Cabinet Member for Resources.

To answer the following question of which due notice had been given:-

Councillor Roy Clement to the Cabinet Member

"It has been noticeable over the past year that evermore shops are closing down in the South Oxhey Shopping Precinct, with boarded up shop fronts contributing to a general run down appearance throughout various frontages.

Would the Portfolio Holder indicate what steps are being taken to alleviate this precarious situation, especially when this hugely important area is likely to form part of a possible Housing Transfer."

(iii) Report from the Resources Policy Panel Chairman.

(iv) Questions to the Resources Policy Panel Chairman.


SCRUTINY

(i) Report from the Scrutiny Panel Chairman.

(ii) Questions to the Scrutiny Panel Chairman.


AUDIT COMMITTEE


(i) Report from the Audit Committee Chairman.

(ii) Questions to the Audit Committee Chairman.


DEVELOPMENT CONTROL


(i) Report from the Development Control Committee Chairman.

(ii) Questions to the Development Control Committee Chairman.


LICENSING


(i) Report from the Licensing Committee Chairman.

(ii) Questions to the Licensing Committee Chairman.


REGULATORY SERVICES COMMITTEE


(i) Report from the Regulatory Services Committee Chairman.

(ii) Questions to the Regulatory Services Committee Chairman.


6. QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC UNDER PROCEDURE RULE 16


None received.


7. RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE


To consider the recommendations of the Executive Committee at its meeting held on 31 July 2006 and 4 September 2006 contained within:

Minute EX35/06 - (Financial Position Statement & Budget Monitoring Report - JUNE 2006 (MONTH 3) )

Minute EX38/06 - (Private Sector Decent Homes Standard Proposal to Utilise Government Funding)

Minute EX48/06 - (Financial Position Statement & Budget Monitoring Report - JULY 2006 (MONTH 4))

Minute EX49/06 - Special Expenses


8. RECOMMENDATIONS FROM THE REGULATORY SERVICES COMMITTEE


To consider the recommendations of the Regulatory Services Committee from its meeting on 4 October 2006 contained within:

Minute RG11/06 - The Regulation of Potentially High Risk Cosmetic Services: New model byelaws and charging structure.


RECOMMENDATIONS FROM THE LICENSING COMMITTEE


To consider the recommendations of the Licensing Committee from its meeting on 4 October 2006 contained within:

Minute LC15/06 - Gambling Act 2005 - Statement of Licensing Policy - (No Casinos)


RECOMMENDATIONS FROM THE AUDIT COMMITTEE


To consider the recommendations of the Audit Committee from its meeting on 11 September 2006 contained within:

Minute AC11/06 - Audit & Internal Control - External Auditor's Report to Those Charged with Governance


11. PETITIONS UNDER PROCEDURE RULE 19


None received.


12. DISCUSSION TOPIC UNDER PROCEDURE RULE 17


None received.


13. MOTIONS UNDER PROCEDURE RULE 11


(1) Councillors Sara Bedford, Chris Brearley, Ann Shaw and Stephen Giles-Medhurst to move under Notice duly given as follows:-

This Council notes:

  • the proposed widening of the M25 between Junctions 16 and 23;

  • the lack of consultation that has taken place with elected representatives.

Council believes that:

  • the widening of the motorway and the increase in vehicles using the road will have a negative effect on residents living in a wide area of Three Rivers, and;

  • that the effect of the roadworks and the widening have not been fully taken into account by the Highways Agency and their consultants.

Council acknowledges that this issue will be discussed by the Housing and Environment Panel and the Executive Committee, and instructs the Chief Executive to write to the Highways Agency making the following points:

  • that local councillors at all levels should be both informed and consulted about all aspects of the project;

  • that the Highways Agency and its consultants appear to have given little consideration to the impact on residents affected by the widening;

  • that this Council calls on the Agency to implement measures in this district to reduce the impact of the widened road on local residents, and in particular:

    • noise and vibration reduction measures
    • light pollution reduction measures
    • measures to reduce the effect on local roads, including trunk and distributor roads
    • additional landscaping
    • retention of wildlife habitats
    • minimisation of disruption during construction.

(2)  Councillors Richard Struck, Ann Shaw and Peter Wakeling to move under Notice duly given as follows:-

This Council notes with concern that the toxic liquid from the Buncefield site remains untreated at the Thames Water site in Maple Cross. The longer it remains there the greater the risk of human error in dealing with it, which could lead to serious environmental damage.

The Council instructs the Chief Executive to contact the Environment Agency (EA) urgently and request the timetable for dealing with this 'firewater.' The Council requires information about whether the liquid will be removed, and if so when, or whether the EA plans to deal with it in situ, and if that is the case, what process will be used, when will this happen and who will be responsible.

The Chief Executive is also instructed to bring this matter to the attention of the appropriate Minister and Department


14. CHANGES TO COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP


To note the change to Committee Membership as detailed: -

Housing & Environment Policy Panel - Delete Councillor Sarah Nelmes and add Councillor Mary Connolly.


Audit Committee - Delete Councillor Harry Davies and add Councillor Pam Hames.


15. REPORTS OF MEETINGS


With the exception of the Executive, Regulatory, Licensing, and Audit Committees recommendations to Council, the following reports are submitted for information only: -

Executive Committee: 31 July 2006

Executive Committee: 4 September 2006

Housing and Environment Policy Panel: 11 July 2006

Housing and Environment Policy Panel: 12 September 2006

Housing and Environment Policy Panel: 10 October 2006

Leisure and Community Policy Panel: 4 July 2006

Leisure and Community Policy Panel: 5 September 2006

Leisure and Community Policy Panel: 3 October 2006

Public Services and Health Policy Panel: 3 August 2006

Public Services and Health Policy Panel: 7 September 2006

Audit Committee: 11 September 2006

Resources Policy Panel: 13 July 2006

Resources Policy Panel: 14 September 2006

Development Control Committee: 20 July 2006

Development Control Committee: 17 August 2006

Development Control Committee: 21 September 2006

Licensing Committee: 2 August 2006

Licensing Committee: 4 October 2006

Regulatory Services Committee: 2 August 2006

Regulatory Services Committee: 4 October 2006

Scrutiny Panel: 24 July 2006

Scrutiny Panel: 25 September 2006

Standards Committee: 22 September 2006

Tony Beirne
Director of Strategic Services
9 October 2006

Three Rivers House
Northway
Rickmansworth
Herts WD3 1RL

NOTE AS TO PRAYERS: Reverend Gill Hulme, Minister at Abbots Langley Methodist Church , will read Prayers at 7.25pm. Members who are not already in their places are requested to refrain from entering the Chamber during the reading of prayers. Sufficient time will be allowed for Members to do so after the close of prayers in order that the business of the meeting may begin at 7.30pm.

Download this Summons and agenda in Word format below