Annual Council - 17 June 2014
Penn Chamber, Three Rivers House16th June 2014
Location: Penn Chamber, Three Rivers House
To: ALL MEMBERS OF THE THREE RIVERS DISTRICT COUNCIL
You are hereby summoned to attend the Annual Meeting of the Council to be held in the Penn Chamber, Three Rivers House, Rickmansworth, on Tuesday 17 June 2014 at 7.30pm for the purpose of transacting the under-mentioned business:-
A G E N D A
1. ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN OF THE COUNCIL
To elect the Chairman of the Council for the Local Government Year 2014/2015 in accordance with the procedure agreed by Council on 8 March 1988 (Minute No 229/88) and 19 April 1988 (Minute No 398/88) and on the points scheme.
2. CHAIRMAN ELECT
The Chairman Elect to make the Declaration of Acceptance of Office, to acknowledge the honour conferred and to receive the Chain of Office from the retiring Chairman. (Photograph to be taken).
The Chairman's Consort to receive the Consort's Badge from the retiring Chairman's Consort. (Photograph to be taken).
3. VOTE OF THANKS TO RETIRING CHAIRMAN
The retiring Chairman to reply and to receive a Scroll from the Chairman thanking the Retiring Chairman for their Term of Office. The new Chairman to take the Chair of Council. (Retiring Chairman to take the Vice-Chairman Seat and move to the audience after his reply).
4. APPOINTMENT OF VICE-CHAIRMAN OF THE COUNCIL
To Elect the Vice-Chairman of the Council for the Local Government Year 2014/2015.
5. VICE-CHAIRMAN ELECT
The Vice-Chairman Elect to make the Declaration of Acceptance of Office, to acknowledge the honour conferred and to receive the Chain of Office from the Chairman.
The Vice-Chairman's Consort to receive the Consort's Badge from the Chairman's Consort. (Photograph to be taken).
6. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
To confirm as correct records the Minutes of the meeting of the Council held on 25 February 2014 and the extraordinary Council meetings held on 24 March 2014 and 24 April 2014.
8. CHAIRMANS ANNOUNCEMENTS
The Chairman to indicate their theme for the year and key dates.
9. ELECTION RETURN
The Returning Officer to report the results of the District Council Elections held in the District on 22 May 2014 and to confirm that all Councillors have signed the Declaration of Office.
10. APPOINTMENT OF THE LEADER OF THE COUNCIL
To appoint the Leader of the Council who will also be Chairman of the Policy and Resources Committee.
11. APPOINTMENT OF THE DEPUTY LEADER OF THE COUNCIL
To appoint the Deputy Leader of the Council.
12. APPOINTMENT OF LEAD MEMBERS
To appoint the Lead Members for:
- Economic Development and Sustainability (Sustainable Development, Planning and Transport Committee)
- Housing, Planning and Transport (Sustainable Development, Planning and Transport Committee)
- Leisure, Community and Wellbeing (Leisure, Wellbeing and Health Committee)
- Health (Leisure, Wellbeing and Health Committee)
- Public Services (General Public Services and Community Safety Committee)
- Community Safety (General Public Services and Community Safety Committee)
- Resources (who will also be Vice-Chairman of the Policy and Resources Committee)
The Chairmanship of the Service Committees will be split between the two Lead Members who will be Presiding at the meetings of the Service Committees in accordance with their areas of Special Responsibility with the other acting as his/her Vice-Chair when not in the Chair.
In accordance with the Council Constitution these Members are appointed to the Policy and Resources Committee (see item 13a below)
13. APPOINTMENT OF PLANNING, REGULATORY SERVICES, LICENSING, SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT, PLANNING AND TRANSPORT, LEISURE, WELLBEING AND HEALTH, GENERAL PUBLIC SERVICES AND COMMUNITY SAFETY, AUDIT AND COUNCIL TAX SETTING COMMITTEES
13a. To appoint Members to the Policy and Resources Committee
To appoint 14 Members to serve on the Policy and Resources Committee in accordance with the Council Constitution as follows:-
Liberal Democrats 8 (Leader of the Council and 7 Lead Members as appointed at Item 12 above)
Conservative 5 Members to be appointed
Labour 1 Member to be appointed
13b. To appoint Members to the Planning, Regulatory Services, Licensing, Sustainable Development, Planning and Transport, Leisure, Wellbeing and Health, General Public Services and Community Safety, Audit and Council Tax Setting Committees in accordance with Council Procedure Rules 26 and 28, and the Local Government and Housing Act 1989.
14. APPOINTMENT OF CHAIRMEN AND VICE-CHAIRMEN
In accordance with Procedure Rule 29, to appoint the Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen of the Planning, Regulatory Services, Licensing, Audit and Council Tax Setting Committees.
15. STANDARDS REGIME
Members’ Panel to deal with Code of Conduct Complaints
To reconstitute this Panel to deal with Code of Conduct Complaints against District and Parish Councillors under the Stages agreed at the Executive Committee on 2 April 2012 (Minute EX104/11).
The Panel will consist of Group Leaders (or their nominees).
16. APPOINTMENTS COMMITTEE
To establish the Appointments Committee with terms of reference as set out in Part 3 of the Constitution and appoint 7 Members to serve thereon. The Committee is subject to the rules governing proportionality.
17. APPOINTMENT OF OTHER COUNCIL BODIES
To reconstitute other Council bodies referred to in Paragraph 2.1 of the report.
18. APPOINTMENT OF THE CHAIRMEN AND VICE–CHAIRMEN FOR EACH OF THE LOCAL AREA FORUMS
To agree the appointment of the Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen for each of the Local Area Forums.
19. APPOINTMENTS TO OUTSIDE BODIES
To agree the appointments to the outside bodies.
20. INDEPENDENT PANEL ON MEMBERS’ ALLOWANCES
To reconstitute the above Panel to review Members’ allowances. It also reviews allowances paid to Parish Councillors. By statute, all appointments must be external to the Council. It is recommended that the Chief Executive makes the appointments.
21. PENSIONERS’ CHAMPION
To consider the appointment of a champion for older people.
22. YOUNG PERSONS’ CHAMPION
To consider the appointment of a champion for young persons.
23. RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE – 24 MARCH 2014
To consider recommendations of the Executive Committee at its meeting on 24 March 2014.
EX100/13 Budget Monitoring Month 11 (February 2014)
24. INDEPENDENT REMUNERATION PANEL
To consider the recommendations of the Independent Remuneration Panel.
25. COMMUNITY INFRASTRUCTURE LEVY
To agree the draft charging schedule for consultation and submission for examination.
26. CHIEF OFFICER/ SENIOR MANAGER PAY POLICY
To approve the policy.
27. THREE RIVERS DISTRICT COUNCIL LOCAL GOVERNMENT PENSION SCHEME - DISCRETIONS TO COMPLY WITH REQUIREMENTS OF THE NEW LOCAL GOVERNMENT PENSION SCHEME WHICH CAME INTO EFFECT ON 1 APRIL 2014
That the revisions be adopted.
28. THREE RIVERS DISTRICT COUNCIL HEALTH AND SAFETY POLICY STATEMENT
The Chairman of the Council and Chief Executive to sign the Council’s Health and Safety Policy Statement.
29. REPORTS OF MEETINGS
With the exception of the Executive, Regulatory, Licensing, and Audit Committees’ recommendations to Council, the following reports are submitted for information only:-
Director of Community and Environmental Services
9 June 2014
NOTE AS TO PRAYERS: Reverend Miriam Mugan, All Saints’ Church, Croxley Green, will read prayers at 7.25pm. Members who are not already in their places are requested to refrain from entering the Chamber during the reading of prayers. Sufficient time will be allowed for Members to do so after the close of prayers in order that the business of the meeting may begin at 7.30pm.