Planning Appeals

If planning permission is refused or granted subject to conditions, the applicant can appeal to the Planning Inspectorate on the following grounds:

  1. Refusal of application.
  2. Any condition(s) placed on the permission.
  3. Failure to determine within eight weeks (or 13 weeks if appropriate).
  4. Any formal enforcement action.

Please note that objectors do not have the right of appeal.

The following websites offer information and guidance:

- Central Government information on appeals.
The Planning Inspectorate’s (PINS) - section of the Planning Portal website.
The Planning Portal – appeals section.

An appeal is heard by an independent body, the Planning Inspectorate (PINS) - the government agency that is responsible for the appeals process in England and Wales (based in Bristol).

There are three procedures by which an appeal can proceed:

  • On the basis of written representations (with an expedited process for those proceeding through the Householder Appeals Service);
  • Informal hearing;
  • Public Inquiry.

The choice of procedure depends on the level of public interest and the complexity of the issues - the Planning Inspectorate (on behalf of the Secretary of State) has the power to determine the procedure.

The decision of the Planning Inspector is final - the case may only be taken to the High Court on a point of law.

The Planning Inspectorate (PINS) develop and manage The Planning Casework Service and currently covers the following types of appeals in England:

  • Access Restriction
  • Conservation Area Consent
  • Conservation Area Enforcement
  • Crown Land Enforcement
  • Enforcement
  • Lawful Development Certificate
  • Listed Building Consent
  • Listed Building Enforcement
  • Planning

This PINS on-line service lets users:

  • Submit the above types of appeal (and supporting documentation)
  • Search for cases on the system
  • Submit comments or supporting/required documents

Viewing an Appeal

You can search for a planning appeal on the Planning Portal website.

The simplest way to search is by entering ‘Three Rivers District Council’ in the Local Planning Authority search criteria and click Search for Cases. You can also carry out the search by using the address of the appeal site or the appeal case reference number (which is in the form: APP/P1940/D/10/2128083)

You can then select your appeal from the list and view documents and the decision (if made). Please Note: Three Rivers District Council does not yet put appeal documents on Planning Online.

Suggested Next Steps